Metro-North Worthwhile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westchester1

Anyone ever hear anything on the Metro-North frequencies? Constant chatter or rarely? Anything interesting?

comspec

If you are talking MNRR Police yes. The frequency is simplex but there is some chatter, not too much and usually not exciting, but you will hear the dispatch for any train incedents (along with all the routine stuff of course) so I like to have it in.

If you are talking Road, Yard frequencies. It can be kind of interesting for a while to see how the ops work, but for day to day monitoring it become repetetive after a while. Also, for Road/Ops frequnecies you need to be close to the trains and/or yards hear them. There is more activity near the yards like Croton Harmon and North White Plains then there are just on the road.

Westchester1

Thank you. I'm in Mt. Pleasant so I don't hear anything. Probably something I have set incorrectly.

comspec

You may be too far for Road/Yard Traffic, but you should definately pick us some occasional PD traffic on 161.22

The road frequency is relatively low power.

Westchester1

How do the train engineers report downed trees or dead moose or caribou on the tracks? Do they use two-way radios or is that done via cell phones?

Spec

If you are talking about the MTA PD (formally MNPD) a good majority of the radio traffic is now MCT. Nextel is used extensively in addition. The simplex 161.2200 is still used to a degree.

comspec

If you are talking about the Yard/Road frequencies that is two way radio, but there is very little traffic outside of the yards.

As far as locations of recievers/transmitters outside the yards, that I am not sure, but I do know I only tend to pick up traffic close to the yards.

It is simplex so you might hear dispatcher you would need to be close to hear the train.

The only way I confirmed that there was any traffic at all on these channels was to scan the bank with RR frequencies only. As there is very little traffic, my scanner would spend more time on the busy public safety frequencies and would miss to one or two messages that were in range.

If you take it on the train with you, you should be able to hear any calls the engineer may make (if he makes any at all) I know its hard to beleive but there just aren't as many dead moose on the tracks as you would expect.

k2ns

Metro North

Try 161.280--That's the Harlem Line talk frequency. You will hear track maintainance crews talking. They are very strong in Pleasantville.

RON

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i have an HT1250 That has all the AAR Channels in it, and when i am in midtown, i leave it on scan and it's non stop talk, mostly police, i am unsure what channel, but i hear alot of police chatter, fights on platforms, people walking in the yards, and things like that, alot of police activity, i am guessing MTA or whoever runs the subway system,
Now that i tihnk about it, it might be NYPD Transit on VHF,

Status
Not open for further replies.