Metro Richmond Region Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookersnHose

Premium Subscriber
I’ve got an old RS Pro-96 that I haven’t used in years. I just want to listen to Metro Richmond Region Fire Dispatch and TACs, is there an update to the Pro96 or should I invest in a new scanner, and if so which one?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
No updates available for the Pro-96. With the Richmond regional system going to Phase II in the foreseeable future, you'll want to look at a P2 scanner. Depending on your budget, the SDS-100 (portable) and SDS-200 (mobile) do very well with the simulcast-style system that Richmond uses, but they're costly. Any of the scanners listed here would meet your needs. The HP-2 is more budget friendly, and ready-to-use right out of the box.

Mr_Boh

The simple answer is yes, the Pro-96 will work. You will need to enter custom tables since it's a post-reband frequency set on the system (see here).

The Richmond region is working on a new P25 system. If you have the funds, you could get an SDS100/200 and be set for today and the future. Pro-96 will work today but likely the new system will have a lot of TDMA which the Pro-96 will not cover. At that point you could move to something like an SDS or the Unication G4/G5.

You could buy a lot of other Phase II scanners other than the SDS and future proof yourself, but they won't handle the simulcast distortion of the new system that well, so if you were to invest the money it would be better spent on the SDS series.

Hopefully that makes sesnse.

N4RXP

Premium Subscriber
Mr Boh above is correct. I use Pro 96. You need to set up custom table to hear Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield. Most PD is encrypted. FD mostly not.

Status
Not open for further replies.