Metro Scanner / Pager Sales

tadsmith

Premium Subscriber
Is there anywhere left in the Metro area where someone can actually get their hands on a scanner anymore? I've got the whole SDR thing setup and running, but I'm interested in a new handheld. Would love to be able to actually hold an SDS100 and compare to a Unication G4. 15+ years ago I got my BCD996T from Action Radio in Maple Grove, but I called and they no longer sell scanners or pagers.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Not too many brick and mortar electronics stores around anymore. I'm fortunate enough to still have a surviving Ham Radio Outlet about an hour's drive away from me but even their stock isn't nearly what it used to be due to various economic factors. HRO is TBMK the only brick and mortar to carry the SDS100 but unfortunately none in Minnesota. All of the RadioShacks have closed down years ago. Sure isn't how it was decades ago when I could walk into a store and buy scanners, antennas, coax, etc like candy. Those days are well behind us.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I don't know of any stores but there's usually a variety of radios at the scanner get togethers we have occasionally. We had one last month and I'm sure when the next one will be so it might not help if you're looking to get one real soon, but something to keep in mind.

Finnesotan

I have both and can say that that I use the G4 more because it is compact, feels more solid, and less clunky especially with the stubby antenna. Both work equally well in the Metro and Arrowhead of MN, G4 maybe slightly better in the metro from my experience. Just 2 cents.

AAFC

There is a privately owned Radio Shack in downtown New Prague, MN. However, the last time I was in there I actually talked with the owner about scanners. He only had one or two in stock and he was using one of them as a working display model on the shelf..... but with Scott County now being encrypted there wasn't much radio traffic. He told me that he no longer orders scanners to have in stock but if someone really wanted to buy from him, he would certainly order whatever the customer wanted.

The store says "Radio Shack" on the front of the building. He is located on the main street that runs right through downtown New Prague, MN. with parking in the rear. I think his actual business name is "The Electronic Connection, LLC."

Google "Radio Shack New Prague, MN" for more info.

There is also "Ancom Communications" in Burnsville. They are a two way radio shop. The sell, install, rent, etc all types of communication equipment including business band radio systems and repeater service. At one point their website mentioned being a Unication dealer. When I wanted to buy my Unication, I called Ancom and it was a very uncomfortable conversation. They don't really want to sell one pager to one guy, they want to sell 100 pagers to an entire department..... and they do not stock any Unication product, everything must be ordered.

There are several Unication dealers who sell on-line that will gladly sell to one person and the transaction is painless. I bought mine from Ray's Pager sales. I called there before I placed the order and Ray answered the phone. I asked a few questions and then told him I would be placing the order as soon as I hang up the phone. He said "I'll be waiting for your order to come through and I will make sure it goes out today"..... which is exactly what he did. Sure, It would've been nice to buy locally but I have a feeling I'd still be trying to talk Ancom into selling me one pager all while making me feel like I was wasting their time.

Last edited:

tadsmith

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the advice. Based on my research, I'm going to give the Unication a shot, as I think it'll fit my needs better.

@AAFC I had the same exact experience with Ancom Communications. Also decided to go with Ray, and my order shipped a few hours later. Sounds like it'll be here in a day or two!

AAFC

Thanks for all the advice. Based on my research, I'm going to give the Unication a shot, as I think it'll fit my needs better.

@AAFC I had the same exact experience with Ancom Communications. Also decided to go with Ray, and my order shipped a few hours later. Sounds like it'll be here in a day or two!
I love my Unication G4. It works perfect on simulcast ARMER systems 99.99% of the time. Learning their programming software can be tricky but once you get the hag of it, you shouldn't have any problems. My advice is to watch the YouTube videos (made by a fire department guy) about how to use the programming software and once you do that, you'll be able to program your new voice pager with no trouble.

Good luck, and ENJOY!