Metrolinx Go Transit (Niagara Site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Is the Metrolinx Go Transit Niagara Site, CC 410.3125 still up and running, I ask because I have not been able to pick up 410.3125 for a long time from Fort Erie. there was a time when 410.3125 just boomed into Fort Erie but can't seem to pick up the frequency anymore.
Steve

ATCTech

Not a great signal Steve but here it is, up and running as usual this afternoon.

Last edited:

robman50

Hi, I am about to receive an 996xt scanner and I was wondering if I can tune in to this or is this a phase i/ii system? I think the 996xt can do APCO P25 and I'm not to sure what the Metrolinx system uses.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It will do it but you won't be able to listen to any talkgroups marked with a "T".

robman50

GO doesn't really come out to Niagara much, you got the bus stop in Grimsby and in the summer the train comes out to Niagara Falls. Any folks on here hear much in the GO system in the region or is most of the activity up at Burlington station to Union station?

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Go Transit is very busy all the time. Mostly the bus talkgroups are very active. You do get some train communication here and there, and sometimes a little bit on Security. I am connected to the Waterdown tower, and in Brampton the signal is "Good" It comes in better then the toronto tower for me at least...

Jason

mciupa

Ok, so I have to use Unitrunker? I can't get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing actually. You need to make a discriminator tap modification to feed the raw signal into the program.

What you may want to try is a program called Pro96.COM. It shows similar data. You won't have to mess around with the inside of your radio to run this program, but you will need a DB9 to USB cable to mate with the Uniden programming cable that came with your 996XT.

If you really want to use Unitrunker, find a cheap second hand scanner and do the modification. I use a 20 year old non-trunking scanner that I park on control channel freq's.
I'm also using that old scanner to listen to TRBO and NexEdge with DSDPlus 1.51

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I have had unitrunker issues on numerous occasions with my tapped scanner but it works well with my GRE600.

What kind of scanner do you have?

ATCTech

You should also be using the west zone frequency set, you're much closer to the Waterdown tower. Failing that, the simulcast zone may work (from the CN tower) or Niagara depending on your antenna's capabilities.

And if I might interject for you and many others that join here regularly, between a trunking scanner with many complex abilities of it's own, asking about TRBO, ProCom96, DSD and now Unitrunker, you're biting off way too much at once. This is a very steep learning curve for anyone that hasn't been involved with scanners and the evolution of trunking radio systems for many years. Go slow, get one thing working at a time, get COMFORTABLE with it, then go on to the next step.

You're also getting bombarded with phrases and suggestions that are for more advanced users and it's only going to make things worse. People have a (bad) habit of jumping in with one sentence answers because they know exactly how to get something working. That doesn't help a beginner one bit. I'm in the process of trying to get a friend up and running with Unitrunker using USB dongles right now actually. I insist he goes in baby steps, get one dongle working in Windows with a single program, have him get used to making adjustments to the software settings and knowing he CAN and IS receiving various signals and that he can REPEAT the process. That way when something stops working he can retrace his own steps and diagnose where it went wrong. Then I move him on to the next step, adding the second dongle and making sure two can run at once on his computer. Well after that happens I'll get him started into Unitrunker.

I've taken and delivered endless amounts of technical training over the decades in my real job. This is how it's done successfully. GO SLOW!

Bob

robman50

With a bit of trial and error and some luck, I put the West Simulcast on and I see what you mean. It is very active. I can't hear it at all but I can sure see the activity. Is this to be expected?

mciupa

Yes, the GO Buses are P25 Phase 2. Their ID's will pop up, but you won't hear them. You would need a scanner with that capability to listen to them.

With Metrolinx, the best you can do is listen to the occasional Rail radio traffic with a BCD996XT.

ATCTech

Well done! But as Mike says, it's sad but true, you're a little late to the party for Metrolinx with that particular radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.