Metrolinx in Peterborough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEOMANTRIC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am up and running on a different scanner now, and would like to know if Metrolinx has a tower site in Peterborough. I found a frequency which I believe to be the CC, but I never get anything out of it. Is there anything I am missing ?

Saint

Premium Subscriber

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
Yes, so I am right. I found the primary channel just by randomly searching. Three letters come up, DAT. Maybe that is why its all quiet ?

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
Steve are you able to give a few pointers on the scanner we both have ? BC396T, I am technologically impaired and up the creek with no paddle on this one.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Peterborough tower

Steve are you able to give a few pointers on the scanner we both have ? BC396T, I am technologically impaired and up the creek with no paddle on this one.
Put these frequencies into your scanner for the Peterborough tower and set your scanner to scan that tower if your seeing (dat) then your close enough to the tower to receive this system, I am in Fort Erie and can't pick up any of the towers so I don't listen to this system.
Steve

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
Success with your method ! I am noticing something odd, however. A channel keeps flickering quickly across the screen during scan mode, and I can see the control channel frequency change quickly back and forth as well. It jumps from the normal 410.- to a high 860mhz frequency. Any known reason for this ? I have a feeling this is interrupting transmissions but I am not too sure.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Flickering

Success with your method ! I am noticing something odd, however. A channel keeps flickering quickly across the screen during scan mode, and I can see the control channel frequency change quickly back and forth as well. It jumps from the normal 410.- to a high 860mhz frequency. Any known reason for this ? I have a feeling this is interrupting transmissions but I am not too sure.

Can't help you with this problem, as I said I do not listen to this system. I can not pick it up down in Fort Erie but there are many people out there that listen to this system that can help you, I am sure someone will post an answer for you. Also try the other towers and see if you can pick up any of them,
Steve

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Your scanner most likely needs a Custom Band plan for UHF entered into it. Once that is done you can listen to all but GO Bus.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind this system has some TDMA talkgroups. If a non-TDMA scanner tries to listen to a TDMA group, the group will flash for half a second on the screen and go back to the control channel.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
Your scanner most likely needs a Custom Band plan for UHF entered into it. Once that is done you can listen to all but GO Bus.

Any idea on the band plan I'd need ? Or how to find out ? I'm desperate, because the only Metrolinx I get right now is the odd DRT small talk wishing each other a nice weekend. I would be indebted to you for life sir, if you could kindly help a noob scanner out.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Any idea on the band plan I'd need ? Or how to find out ? I'm desperate, because the only Metrolinx I get right now is the odd DRT small talk wishing each other a nice weekend. I would be indebted to you for life sir, if you could kindly help a noob scanner out.

Can't help at the moment, I'm at work but will take a look at my Freescan file later. It sounds like you have it programmed okay if you are receiving DRT.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
...It sounds like you have it programmed okay if you are receiving DRT.

That's what I was afraid of. It looks like Metrolinx is a boring scan out my way. Makes me wonder why they need a tower out here? And why the heck would I be getting DRT at all, let alone just them. They do not service Peterborough, obviously. Thanks for the reply though, it was quicker than I expected.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They likely roam onto that tower, given their location.

GO Transit services Trent University and Peterborough, so that is why they need service there.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
They likely roam onto that tower, given their location.

GO Transit services Trent University and Peterborough, so that is why they need service there.

Any reason that I would have got GO Barrie one time, and never again, from my current location? Also, how would a DRT unit hit a Peterborough tower, the closest they go is Oshawa, about 50 clicks away at least.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
I guess I'm just confused how I get random DRT chatter, when there is stuff I should be able to hear which is not TDMA. Its like my scanner is censoring only the cool stuff, which is obviously not true.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Neo: They likely have a few routes that venture into territory where the Peterborough tower gives better coverage, which is why they show up on there.

DaveH

Any reason that I would have got GO Barrie one time, and never again, from my current location? Also, how would a DRT unit hit a Peterborough tower, the closest they go is Oshawa, about 50 clicks away at least.

That suggests enhanced propagation. Was this in the early morning hours? That's the usual
time much of this happens. Recently I heard a Moto 850MHz control channel on 852.3625
rarely heard at this location, albiet at 2:30 am (couldn't sleep that night...). It was
Clinton Cty NY (3A34) near Plattsburgh. Similar things happen on 400MHz.

Dave

VE3RADIO

DRT services, Port Perry, Bowmanville and I believe even Beaverton.. all of those places are not that far from Peterborough.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
That suggests enhanced propagation. Was this in the early morning hours? That's the usual
time much of this happens. Recently I heard a Moto 850MHz control channel on 852.3625
rarely heard at this location, albiet at 2:30 am (couldn't sleep that night...). It was
Clinton Cty NY (3A34) near Plattsburgh. Similar things happen on 400MHz.

Dave

Damn it, so I'm never going to get it again basically ?

As for the other post, Bowmanville, Beaverton, Port Perry are all pretty far in terms of scanning. Ya, its a short drive but the radio coverage isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.