Metrolinx Rail Traffic Control

homerjay

Just curious if anyone knows what CN freights do on the Oakville Subdivision east of Burlington W? Were they issued radios by Metrolinx or did CN get their own to communicate with RTC?

Also, when was the official switch over date that they started using the NXDN on their lines. It was only in the last week I noticed my scanner got very quiet and the CN Niagara RTC ops stopped getting false emergency tones.

mciupa

Can't find anything official, but we started noticing our Rail monitoring for Metrolinx started to include NXDN as far back as May 2020. NXDN first popped up at the MacMillan Yard north of Toronto back in 2015.

Alcojack

Feed Provider
The Metrolinx portion of the Kingston Sub from Durham Junction to Toronto Union, the GO Sub, the Uxbridge Sub and probably a few others used by Metrolinx went to NXDN late last year. VIA trains and the Oshawa Yard job talk on the Metrolinx NXDN channels when they enter the Kingston Sub and the GO Trains use it to talk with their RTC. Modern railroad cab radios are equipped with both analog and NXDN digital channels.

homerjay

Can't find anything official, but we started noticing our Rail monitoring for Metrolinx started to include NXDN as far back as May 2020. NXDN first popped up at the MacMillan Yard north of Toronto back in 2015.

I know it was recently, I have a stream from my home scanner so i can listen at work on nights and I know in January I could still hear them using the AAR band frequencies still. I just stopped for a while because work picked up. Then I turned it back on and I hear the GO trains saying they are switching to GO 13 after leaving the station at Burlington W

I honestly didn't think they could switch because what are the freights to use when they are on the Metrolinx trackage. That would mean investing in all new radios in the locomotives. I know they aren't using cell phones since its against policies.

Anyways thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Radioman59

Premium Subscriber
Good evening, a question:

I'm a long time railroad radio listener who lives in the northern suburbs of Buffalo, NY. I receive the NXDN digital transmissions from Metrolinx loud and clear,using a Kenwood VHF NX700 for my receiver which is an analog/NXDN radio.
I see mention of RAN 0 for many of the frequencies. The actual NX700 radio RAN list goes from 1-63, no RAN 0. The only other setting is no RAN. I have been unable to decode any of the Metrolinx transmissions with my radio, any thoughts?

Thank you

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
My ICOM allows RAN 0 - 63 with RAN 0 being used as a carrier squelch setting.

Radioman59

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, I rechecked the RAN table on the NX700 even if I manually enter a 0 it defaults to None. If I set the RAN # to None I am unable to decode any NXDN transmissions. The table goes from 1-63. I have two NX700's if the railroads in the USA decide to use a RAN of 0 this will be a problem.
Bob

mciupa

Does your radio work with these two Metrolinx conventional frequencies?

160.710BM9 RANGO9 DonGO9 Don YardNXDNRailroad
161.190BM10 RANGO10 DonGO10 Don YardNXDNRailroad

Radioman59

Premium Subscriber
Last week I programmed those frequencies with the listed RAN's. I have not received any NXDN transmissions yet. 161.520, 160.830, 160.230 are the frequencies I receive the NXDN signal most frequently on.

mciupa

The first two are Metrolinx frequencies, the .23 is one from north of Toronto at a rail classification yard named MacMillan Yard.

Radioman59

Premium Subscriber
Good morning, I asked the same question about the NX700 in NXDN in the Kenwood Forum. Some questions are: Is Metrolinx using narrow or very narrow modulation, and all conventional?
I was informed on the NX700 None is=to RAN 0.

Thank you

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
OK, I will try very narrow and see what happens. Thank you.

I thought you already tried it? At least that’s what you posted in another thread.

mciupa

I thought you already tried it? At least that’s what you posted in another thread.

A good example of why members should not cross-post in the forums. Hard to keep the story straight. :confused:

Radioman59

Premium Subscriber
I will try very narrow with None for the RAN. Not sure if I tried None with very narrow and see what happens.

Bob

Radioman59

Premium Subscriber
Good morning, very narrow with RAN-None, is working! Thank you all that offered suggestions.
Bob