MFJ 1026 auxiliary antenna connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quebec337

Hi,

I just bought a MFJ 1026 on Ebay to go with my receiver.

Now, I know that the main antenna goes into the MFJ 1026 before it comes out and goes into the receiver main HF antenna slot. But for the auxiliary antenna, do I understand well that it comes in the MFJ without having any physical contact with the receiver at all ?

Thanks,
Matt

a29zuk

Typically the main antenna is your receive antenna and the auxiliary is your noise antenna. They are both fed to the receiver as each has its own gain control on the front panel. The phase control adjusts the phase between the two antennas to either eliminate noise or an unwanted signal.
If noise isn't a problem it can also be used to phase the two antennas for receiving a stronger signal from a particular station.

I have a 60' main antenna and a 25' auxiliary antenna fed to mine. I use it to eliminate man made noise from my home and neighborhood on HF and it works well. You may have to experiment with the noise antenna for the best results.

The key is to adjust the gain control for each antenna so the offending noise is at an equal level on each antenna using the S-meter on your receiver. Then adjusting the phase control to eliminating the noise.

I also did a mod on it (I believe from an article in Monitoring Times magazine) to allow it to be used down on the AM broadcast band. It is now able to eliminate local stations and listen to stations behind them.

Jim

Quebec337

Thanks a lot for all the infos Jim, it's helping a lot !

Tell me, do you have more specs on the modification of the MFJ 1026 for a.m. filtering ? I'd be very much interested in doing the same thing, but I can't find the "Monitoring times" article in question.....

Thanks,
Matt

a29zuk

After looking around for awhile I found it on one of my computers! This is the whole article with the inset of the mod on page 2.

Good Luck
Jim

Attachments

• MFJ_1025_p1.pdf
    125.1 KB · Views: 93
  • MFJ_1025_p2.pdf
    336.8 KB · Views: 95

Quebec337

Thanks for everything Jim, that'll ne very helpful !

But a last question just popped up into my mind : will this a.m. modification affect the MFJ 1026's behaviour on the hf frequencies ?

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.