MFJ 1886

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I have seen alot of good videos comparing the MFJ with Wellbrook...W6LVP , Pixel, and a few others. MFJ sometimes is a hit and miss. The design was taken from Pixel who sold out a few years ago. They are all good antennas, so with that said it is preference. The only issue I have with the W6LVP loop is I don't think it will hold up to hot temps as in Arizona or other places like that due to all that plastic. I like the idea though, but the plastic turned me off- too flimsy. I bought one and returned it real fast. If my Pixel were to buy the dust I would buy the MFJ.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good evening,
Any thoughts on this loop for our utility listening frequencies ? Thanks
Chris

No, I haven't used that loop. But I have built my own.

What I can tell you from 30 years of being a ham...
MFJ is not high end stuff. I'd not expect it to last very long if used outdoors in anything but a very mild climate and with a fair amount of preventative maintenance. Kingston ON? I think you might be disappointed after a while if you mounted it outside.
Used indoors? Probably good enough.

But I'd say take a look at making your own loop antenna. It's not difficult. I made one out of PVC pipe and some scrap wire. Bought an old variable capacitor off e-Bay for about $10 and it worked quite well.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I have a feeling you built a passive loop - one with no amplifier, right? If so it's like comparing 2 different kinds of apples - they are somewhat different designs.....Mike

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I got the W6LVP a few months back, still evaluating it but so far it works as well as my 31 foot vertical for receiving for the most part. Very satisfied. I tried ordering the 1886 a few times but it was always on back order from the vendors so I gave up. Hopefully it's back in stock for others to purchase.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Good evening,
Any thoughts on this loop for our utility listening frequencies ? Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris! I had a great experience with the MFJ-1886 loop you can look through here:

With regards to mechanical strength and build quality, it's probably one of the most durable loop antennas available. While not cheap on cost, it's almost half the price of it's competitors.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I've purchased MFJ products since they started in the early 1970's, lost track of how many different items purchased such as tuners, antennas, filters, shortwave converters, books, etc. Always found their products satisfactory. They started in the early 70's with their first and only product, a simple wire antenna tuner and blossomed into an array of products for the ham and SWL. I miss their printed catalogs. My experience with MFJ has been good. Thanks Martin for MFJ Enterprises!

Sprint

Premium Subscriber
I pulled the trigger and just installed the 1886. I will say that even without a rotor for the most part it is quieter than my PAR SWL. I can see that with a bit of height and some way to turn it ( other than going to the deck each time ) it will make a difference.
With more time to review I will comment on what frequency ranges it works best in my particular application.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.