Loops MFJ-1888 (not the 1886) Loop Antenna with 4-Port Multi-coupler

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I used to own an MFJ-1886 loop antenna. I sold it and regretted it ever since. Now I see MFJ has a new(?) loop, MFJ-1888 that comes with a 4-port multi-coupler! This is really tempting as I recently bought an ICOM IC-R8600 receiver. I'm not sure how long the 1888 has been available. The YouTube review below does have a comment on it that is from one year ago. Anyone here have one, and if so could you please post your experience with it.

MFJ-1888, LOOP, HIGH PERFORMANCE RECEIVING, .5 TO 30 MHz

Here is a short YouTube review on the MFJ-1888:

mfj-1888_loop_0952.jpg
mfj-1888-mc_front_0836.jpg
mfj-1888mc_back_0838.jpg

arg0s

Compared to the MFJ-1886 active loop, the product designer went from a differential preamplifier with MMICs to a discrete, differential, common emitter amplifier. Unfortunately the preamp input impedance increased considerably versus the 1886 model. A high impedance is not the prefered load for a broadband loop and in this case also impacts the max. achievable gain.
The 100 Ohm resistors in series with the inputs, together with the 39 Ohm transistor base resistors, don't scream "low noise". The low noise figure quoted by MFJ is in question.
The differential preamp is followed by a simple, single ended emitter follower with no impedance match to the coaxial cable. I find the decision to use a single ended output buffer instead of a differential version puzzling.

The design decisions made for the 1888MC multicoupler are equally strange. The antenna signal is split up by a very lossy 4-way resistive power divider. The noise figure is thus very high and nowhere near the specified value. The input impedance of the multicoupler is not 50 Ohm but very close to 100 Ohm. The amplifiers following the power divider are neither input nor output matched to anything that resembles 50 Ohm. The multicoupler outputs are well isolated and the gain can be varied, individually for each output, between approximately 2dB and 15dB.