MFJ Scanners (coming soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9GTJ

New MFJ Scanners (coming soon)

I didn't see any mention of this but MFJ Enterprises are going to offer two scanners starting in December.

The MFJ-8310 looks to be a basic base scanner while the MFJ-8322 is a handheld triple trunking scanner. No photos on the website but in a recent catalog you can see the handheld looks like a GRE rebranded scanner (think brick).

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

Last edited:

DiGiTaLD

Yep, they did that at the end of July.
So the acquired Cushcraft from Laird, huh? I've had a Cushcraft ARX-2B up for about ten years (made before Laird), always been satisfied with it. Hopefully the quality continues.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I wish MFJ all the luck! More competition hopefully means more features and better radios down the road! :)
For those who don't want to worry about downloading the pdf here are the pics:

MFJScanner1.JPG

MFJScanner22.JPG

MFJBaseScanner1.JPG

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Great! More Mighty Fine Junk.

Cmon' now give them credit for trying. Yes they are Basic, analog only receivers but now they have their foot in the door. And who knows what they may release down the road? I give them props for putting something out into the market. Hell, if Radio Shack continues its sad direction you may be limited to buying from MFJ or GRE Direct in the future for the GRE radios.
Marshall KE4ZNR

N0IU

Great! More Mighty Fine Junk.
Say what you want about MFJ, but enough people are buying their stuff to allow them to buy companies like Ameritron, HyGain, Mirage and Vectronics. It says a lot about a company when they can secure that kind of credit in this economy to buy another company without a government bailout!

Personally, I have never (knock wood) had a bad piece of MFJ gear.

Last edited:

commscanaus

I wonder if the MFJ scanners will require re-soldering and repair straight from the box like their antenna tuners.

Sorry- but my MFJ-902 Travel tuner was an absolute mess internally and would not tune properly- straight from the box. It was returned to the place of purchase. The replacement was better but still had bad solder on the tuning capacitor.
The MFJ-1040B pre-selector unit required several connections repaired- again straight from the box.

I gave up on MFJ- it is very expensive here and not worth the money.
Hopefully they have improved their quality control. They have some very nice products on offer, but I won't take the risk of buying another item that needs repair.

Commscanaus.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the MFJ scanners will require re-soldering and repair straight from the box like their antenna tuners.

Considering they are not manufacturing the scanners in the first place this seems doubtful. They are just selling rebadged GRE radios. Which means that GRE made the radios not MFJ.
Marshall KE4ZNR

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Fake Beard!

Sorry for OT, but what is the deal with the guy on p. 53 of the 2010 MFJ catalog with the fake beard? It was drawn on with magic marker!

Back OT: what would be the purpose of rebadged GRE scanners for MFJ? Not disagreeing that it's rebadged...open the market to MFJ loyalists?

SCPD

QRT
Martin F. Jue... Love him? Hate him? Either way, he is very much an entrepreneur and always looking for ways to make money for his company.

same reason Radio Shack doing is doing the same thing??. anything to make a buck.
I quoted the wrong message :)

Status
Not open for further replies.