MHP Back on Air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRadioGuru

Anyone hearing MHP in the clear on their normal dispatch talkgroups again? Multiple "sources" have informed me they are dropping encryption due to a few reasons now. Drop your findings below!

I have verified with some people in the community for sure that Troop F and Troop J are in the open as of yesterday.

kj4jaq

Gulf of Mexico Galavanter
Premium Subscriber
was monitoring 8 momentarily when you made the post. had to go do some work and havent been around it. that said, i have been hearing more of the MSWIN TGs which are typically encrypted that are now in the clear lately than the randomness of months past.

kj4jaq

Gulf of Mexico Galavanter
Premium Subscriber
also note: in district 8, there is very little traffic to begin with. i think they have the least amount of MHP units actually on the highways compared to other districts. it is not uncommon for hancock county SO to have to wait long periods of time for MHP to show up since they typically are coming from east harrison/jackson county (or elsewhere).

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I guess the MSDPS calmed down finally from being pissed at the NW MS feed guy for broadcasting things when asked not to lol. Just took him a year to calm down and adding MDOT enforcement in the mix? Will MHP stay clear? That one is probably a no once they get all the kinks ironed out. An agency going clear again permanently is too rare to even think about. Jones went clear a while, now is full E again. Rankin SO is gone forever from what I hear, so don't get to happy yet about MHP. Unless they add dedicated TAC TG's that are E and go to them for events, like they should have done from the get go.

Last edited by a moderator:

scanphreak

Here's my observations over the last couple of months. District 8 Troop K had been using MDOT Enforcement R3 TAC for what sounded like dispatch. I hear Biloxi come up on there all of the time. And I've been hearing MHP STATE WIDE coming in on the towers down here for the last few weeks, and I've never heard that talkgroup before then. Those have been in the clear as well. Glad to hear they're dropping E.

TheRadioGuru

I guess the MSDPS calmed down finally from being pissed at the NW MS feed guy for broadcasting things when asked not to lol. Just took him a year to calm down and adding MDOT enforcement in the mix? Will MHP stay clear? That one is probably a no once they get all the kinks ironed out. An agency going clear again permanently is too rare to even think about. Jones went clear a while, now is full E again. Rankin SO is gone forever from what I hear, so don't get to happy yet about MHP. Unless they add dedicated TAC TG's that are E and go to them for events, like they should have done from the get go.

It's my understanding that the cost to upgrade all the former MDOT enforcement radios to AES was just too much for what it was worth right now. There has also been major fallout from a multitude of sheriff's departments who have had MHP in their radios for years. They claim it was a public safety issue to not be able to hear what MHP was doing in their county. From everything I know, this change is here to stay for at least the next 2 years, or until this commissioner of public safety leaves office.

fire38756

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have been hearing MHP Greenwood in the clear for about a month. I have also heard MHP Batesville in the clear. MHP Jackson is still E. I didn't want to make a big deal about it, scared they may cut if off again.

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
I hear Troops C, D, M, and sometimes hear G, H, and J all in the clear. If anybody starts to rebroadcast them, I understand they will all go encrypted. Just a hint, not all of them are on the regular dispatch channels though.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
So, the MDOT radios need to be AES capable?
All MS DPS radios, now including MDOT E, must be able to use the same standards and protocols and with encryption MHP, MBI, MBN, etc use AES 256. So to be able to work the MDOT would need that upgrade as well. If they do find funding which I suspect will be available since US DHS has been pushing for all Public Safety to have encryption for a few years now... Once they get that done, they will most likely set up proper TG's with a clear Dispatch, and E Tacticals, possibly 2 dispatches like quite a few other state police agencies nationwide do, one C, other E. That will make it possible for proper security and officer safety and also kill the streaming issues. Which should have been done from day one. All the radios for public safety have ADP standard for free, but THE standard that is pushed for is the top tier AES 256. Which is NOT free. Or they could just take Enforcement away from MDOT and completely merge it into MHP as the Motor Carrier Enforcement Division, including the MDOT Rail unit. (Which would mean higher levels of training and standards and pay as MHP is higher than DOT in all that.) Heck, even MDWFP has it set up better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.