MHP Troop D

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmimnaugh

I just got my first scanner. The RS Pro-107. It's great because it has the RadioReference database already built in on a memory card. The problem I am having is picking up communications for the Highway Patrol. I get the dispatch perfectly, but that is all I hear. One sided communication. Any thoughts? I have all of the Troop D frequencies selected, and I live in the middle of Springfield.

Thanks in advance for your help!

talkpair

One sided communication. Any thoughts?

The Missouri Highway patrol uses half-duplex operation.

This means the base transmits on one frequency and the mobiles transmit back on a different frequency.

In your case, Troop D transmits on 42.06 to the cars, and the cars transmit back to them on 42.22.
The cars can also chat back and forth to each other using 42.06 as both transmit and receive in simplex operation. In simplex mode, they are also able to hear Troop D, but Troop D isn't bothered with car-to-car chatter.
They most likely use 42.0 for car to car as well. (statewide car to car)

While troop D has other frequencies in their list, those are probably the 3 most active in the low band in the Springfield area.
Low band is a tricky animal, since few scanner antennas made today favor the low band.

There are some relays which repeat the 42.22 frequency......They should be in the database toward the bottom of the list....These can be tricky as well, because they are low power and not really a repeater as most people know them.

I get the dispatch perfectly, but that is all I hear
Monitor 42.22 alone for a while (not scan), and see if you hear cars calling Springfield every now and then, and then decide how bad you want to listen to them.

Monitoring the MSHP is do-able, but not easy.....It pretty much requires a dedicated antenna(s) and radio(s)

Another thing to consider is how many troopers are inside the Springfield city limits during their tour. In Kansas City, I believe many traffic accidents are handled by KCPD and not the highway patrol. It's rare to hear an HP car inside the I-435 loop south of the Missouri River.

wb0wao

Another thing that will help is to get a better antenna than the stock one that comes with the 107. Look for one that is rated for VHF-LO. Depending on your location, terrain, etc. it can be difficult to monitor the cars. Conversly, I have never heard Troop E due to terrain and the lack of an external antenna - all I ever hear is the mobiles from time to time on I-55. The only way I have heard dispatch is monitoring their mobile extenders.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I just got my first scanner. The RS Pro-107. It's great because it has the RadioReference database already built in on a memory card. The problem I am having is picking up communications for the Highway Patrol. I get the dispatch perfectly, but that is all I hear. One sided communication. Any thoughts? I have all of the Troop D frequencies selected, and I live in the middle of Springfield.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Try 456.275 which is the Branson relay for 42.220.

jmimnaugh

I have had my scanner set to monitor 42.22 and 42.06. I had it on at the house for a while, and while I made the trip to Joplin yesterday. Unfortunately, I still was only able to pick up a few random dispatch responses, and the morning update regarding vehicles and people that were wanted and the number of fatal accidents for troop D year to date.

I guess my next best bet would be to try out a new antenna...VHF-LO.

You guys are great, and I appreciate the quick feedback!!!

flhays

Premium Subscriber
I haven't lived in MO for a few years but in the KCMO area, the MSHP worked the accidents on the interstate north of the river and KCMO PD worked them south of the river. The repeaters are very directional, and you probably won't hear anything on the freq's unles you are in between the repeater and the Troop it points at. I remember seeing the repeater tower at I70 & I435, near the clover leaf interchange and the repeater beam literally points through the KCMO Royals, Chiefs stadiums. I also believe most of the chit chat traffic is done with in car computers. I normally scan all of the MSHP freq's when I travel through the state. You can pick up troopers talking if they are faily close and have all of the channels entered into the scanner. I "really" listen to the car to airplane channel when they run aircraft speed enforcement. You can hear the plane along ways away.

jmimnaugh

Recommendations

Another thing that will help is to get a better antenna than the stock one that comes with the 107. Look for one that is rated for VHF-LO. Depending on your location, terrain, etc. it can be difficult to monitor the cars. Conversly, I have never heard Troop E due to terrain and the lack of an external antenna - all I ever hear is the mobiles from time to time on I-55. The only way I have heard dispatch is monitoring their mobile extenders.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good VHF-LO antenna?

I did hear my first communication from a car, but it was as I was passing him, and the quality was pooor.

Status
Not open for further replies.