MI DNR Using Drones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Anyone know if the DNR are using Drones?

On a Special Event Channel the other night, I heard communications that possibly sounded like a Drone was being used to locate Poachers deep in the Forest. Communications went something like:

"I am going to fly over you guys, turn on your light, Ok they are due east of your location"

It did not sound like communications from a Helicopter?

ecps92

Fixed Wing Likely
Wardens in the Sky: Michigan's DNR Pilots Tell Their Greatest Stories | Field & Stream

Anyone know if the DNR are using Drones?

On a Special Event Channel the other night, I heard communications that possibly sounded like a Drone was being used to locate Poachers deep in the Forest. Communications went something like:

"I am going to fly over you guys, turn on your light, Ok they are due east of your location"

It did not sound like communications from a Helicopter?

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I think you are correct Bill, I did not think from the clear communications that there was a pilot airborne, but that article describes exactly what I was hearing.

Thanks

Edit:

I checked my Radarbox Log and there was no entry for a C172 or State of MI Aircraft. Must not be using Mode S/ ADS-B.

Last edited:

RayAir

I picked up some comms on the MPSCS today that seemed to indicate fixed wing operations.

County codes were 81 and 41.

Unfortunately I was listening mobile with an XTS 5000 set to All TG receive and didn't get a TGID.

The pilot said he was going to do a few touch and go's and then make some ILS approaches before heading in.

As a pilot myself, the chatter on this group sounded more like pilot to tower comms similar to what you would hear at a class D airport.

djh415

Premium Subscriber
The Michigan State Police do have a FAA Certified UAV with pilot. It is possible that the DNR could request it, however there probably was a fixed wing in this case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.