Miami Center (ZMA) RCAG fun & info

Status
Not open for further replies.

captkel

Well once again we did the road trip thing on Saturday....only 130 miles of driving this time :) Verified the active frequencies, (at least yesterday) and they are...124.700, 126.325, 128.175, and 132.400 and the Dolphin Vortac (DHP) on 113.900. Any others that maybe there were not active. I was hoping that 135.600 was transmitted from there but no luck on that. We parked at a small shopping center across the street, there is a parking lot on the east side of the RCAG area however it's a police station and I didn't think that it would be a good idea to park there. At the shopping center they have additional parking on the roof. The view up there is obscured by trees and power lines however up there I picked up 127.225, it was weak but readable and was being simulcast with 126.325. On the ground I could NOT hear it???? maybe trouble with the radio, it's a hand held Radio Shack model. The info I have say's it's transmitted from George Town on Great Exuma Island in the Bahamas. I assumed I could track it down in Miami but my idea didn't work. We also tried to find the location of the 135.600 transmitter but that too failed. Every now and then I can receive 135.600 from my home when there is some tropo activity happening. If anyone knows were it's transmitted from PLEASE chime in. The next expedition will be to check out the Pahokee RCAG. Until then I will leave you with a quote from the Star Trek series.... It can be argued that a human is ultimately the sum of his experiences.

KEL

Attachments

• Dolphin Vortac.jpg
    Dolphin Vortac.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,435
  • Miami Center RCAG site 1  (MIAMI).jpg
    Miami Center RCAG site 1 (MIAMI).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 834
  • Miami Center RCAG site 1 (MIAMI) CLOSEUP.jpg
    Miami Center RCAG site 1 (MIAMI) CLOSEUP.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 760
  • Miami Center RCAG site 2 (MIAMI).jpg
    Miami Center RCAG site 2 (MIAMI).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 974
  • MIAMI CENTER RCAG INFO (2).doc
    25 KB · Views: 664

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
Very nice Kel!!! Thanks for the frequency confirmations also. It's good to see the diffrent consruction techniques for VORTAC's also... This one seems quite elevated.

EMD91123

I know that Miami had some outages all day yesterday while I was listening to a Nassau Bahamas radio feed on LIVEATC.NET. 125.7 which handles NOrth dep/app into Nassau was using 134.2. High Level 134.8 which is north of the bahamas is using 132.95 these days. 135.6 should be transmitting from that RCAG as well. Lots of substitutions are being used yesterday and today. I remember hearing all the frequencies on that rcag when I was in Coral Gables.

captkel

I know it's possible with some atmospheric help to pull in long distance signals. Last Thursday from 6:00 pm until midnight 135.600 was coming in very well here in Coral Springs. That's a good catch if it's coming in from Nassau Bahamas. It's about 200 miles from here.
I guess I shouldn't count on hearing that one too often.): Thanks for the reply.
KEL

Status
Not open for further replies.