Miami-Dade County, FL Selects Harris Corp for $100 Million P25 800 Mhz System

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Miami-Dade County, Florida, has selected Harris Corporation (NYSE: HRS), an international communications and information technology company, to upgrade the county's public safety and public service communications system as part of an overall communications project for the county.

The project will provide the county with a new Harris P25^IP (Project 25 to the power of Internet Protocol) 800 MHz radio communications system, and also includes radio terminals for the county to comply with the FCC's (Federal Communications Commission) rebanding mandate (FCC 04-168). The new standards-based system will bring the county greater functionality on a flexible system platform.

Harris Corporation Receives Orders Totaling Approximately $100 Million for Miami-Dade County Public Safety Communications... -- MIAMI and BOSTON, March 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Cool, that would bring the entire area into the P-25 age. Its also about time as the Miami system is aging. Now if only the State of FL would move in the P-25 direction and leave that EDACS alone.. :)

qbertopp

Once they switch the big red button thats says ENCY I will throw away all my scanners.

gcr33

Please stop the fear of encryption. If it is coming you cannot stop it. Because a system goes digital or P25 9600 baud does not mean everything is encrypted.

Please stop giving out doughnut jokes or what you hear on a system and posting it. That surely does not help.

If you want to throw out your scanner(s) please remember me. I am happy to receive.

scnnr

Please stop the fear of encryption. If it is coming you cannot stop it. Because a system goes digital or P25 9600 baud does not mean everything is encrypted.

Please stop giving out doughnut jokes or what you hear on a system and posting it. That surely does not help.

If you want to throw out your scanner(s) please remember me. I am happy to receive.

You are absolutely correct. Already you have two doomsday thinking posters about Encryption. :roll:

Just to add I have been hearing the same old big E letter here in my neck of the woods for years now. Still lots of monitoring and some encryption. It certainly does not keep me awake at night or stop me from buying the latest in scanning technology.

Last edited:

colby4601

Very monitor-able. We have a Harris P25ip system here in Saskatchewan. Able to scan it fine.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
This is what confuses me... Isn't M/A-Com, Harris Corp, now? We have a P25 M/A-Com system that is Provoice (Harrisonburg/ Rockingham, VA). I do not understand how M/A-Com labels it as P25.

Todd

N

N_Jay

You are somewhat confused.
If your system is ProVoice, it is not P25 and if it is P25 it in not ProVoice.
Harris makes both (as well as OpenSky)

EDIT:
From the database your system is EDACS trunking carrying ProVoice audio.

Last edited:

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
You are somewhat confused.

No doubts about that!:D

Our ECC director has advised it is P25 and Provoice. I don't see how one can relate to the other. All I know is, using the CC's and the rest of the system frequencies (I can't obtain the LCN), I cannot hear any voice.

I have a PSR-500. The only voice transmissions that I hear are when I have the frequencies set up in conventional mode and "auto" (or FM). Fire & Rescue is dispatched in the analog mode and these are the only transmissions I have been able to find that I can receive.

Again, I don't have the LCN (I have been told on our system it rotates, anyway), so I haven't been able to track TG's.

If you have some suggestions would you let me know, or PM me so I don't hi-jack this thread.

Thanks,
Todd

wb4dyu

Read the harris Corp. release. The system WILL BE ENCRYPTED 'TOP TO BOTTOM'

vinzep491

Here's the quote from the article:

"Miami-Dade's new scalable P25^IP system is based on a unified IP-network architecture that brings many benefits to the county's public safety and public service communications users.

•Inter-networking to provide Miami-Dade users with advanced features such as emergency services, unit-to-unit calls, caller ID, end-to-end encryption and inter-system roaming across existing, emerging and future airlinks."

It says the system IS CAPABLE of providing end2end ENC. I'm not sure if it means that this was something Miami was seeking and is immplimenting, or if it is just an available option that Harris provides.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Another big "M" customer tells the giant they love to hate to kick rocks and selects Harris. This would be like what, the fifth major local government in the USA to pick Harris over Motorola.

So wonder when Solutions will sell out to Hytera, Kenwood or some other offshore vendor? Only a matter of time, the writing is on the wall folks.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'm just laughing at the $100million price tag. I'll put money on it that it goes AT LEAST $125million before it's done!

gesucks

end to end encryption does not mean all the talk gropups with be encrypted.

end to end encryption means that if a call is encrypted, that it remains encrypted from start of call to delivery to all points. it refers to the transport of the information in the system and that it stays encrypted the whole time.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber

GCR it is a valid fear in Florida, you are correct in the statements you made however look at agencies in florida recently and you know where its going

The big "M"

MTS2000des. I have 44 years experience in this business however am retired now. Everyone likes to take shots at whoever is number one. I remember the days when there was really 3 big players in this 2-way radio business. Motorola, GE, and RCA. RCA dropped out in the mid 70's. GE sold out to Ericsson who sold out to MA/COM who sold out to Harris. EFJ was not really a contender in those days. Motorola has always been there with leading edge products, parts, service and back up. GE was good competition back in the 70's and 80's and had some good products. RCA never had a good offering of products or service, in my opinion. Customers buy for different reasons. Win some, lose some. My money is on Motorola going forward. Go ahead and take your shot at number one. They can take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.