Miami-Dade County, FL Selects Harris Corp for $100 Million P25 800 Mhz System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Motorola still owns better than 80 percent of the public safety market share. They're not going anywhere.

Harris is good in the mix because they provide competitive systems, and competition ensures that nobody gets lazy. A monopoly would be VERY bad. It encourages laziness on the part of the only source you can go to.

The only stones you can throw at Motorola today are all related to their way of doing business. They're very
systems-focused, and it may get to the point that you can't just buy individual radios from them unless you
have an existing contract for a complete system already signed and in force. They don't consider the
sales of individual radios to be all that important now. I do think that's a mistake, but they'll soon learn
from it, I think.

They also need to get past the planned obsolescence. When they sell a new trunking system, the date at which the Astro firmware goes obsolete is already determined. They FORCE upgrades even when the older revision may suit the customer's needs FOREVER.

I strongly disagree with that model. I believe that stable system firmware releases are the way to go,
rather than selling new firmware to the customer every six months and giving them no real choice in the matter.

We all know that new software doesn't necessarly equate to better software. Remember XTS5000 CPS release 15.something, the one that corrupted radios left and right? Nice job, dummy! They had to issue a patched release to fix that problem.

Elroy

Well said, Elroy

Well said. Competition is good for everybody. And I agree, Motorola Solutions isn't going anywhere.

EDACS_247

Premium Subscriber
Miami-Dade P25 System Activation

In November, one of our clients in the know (a system End User) in Dade County tells us that the new P25 system should be online in 18 months. That was in Nov. So, I figure Summer 2013. I would imagine they're in somewhat of a hurry though considering they are waiting to reband until the new system is installed. That's got to make them one of the last systems to reband in Fl. if not the rest of the country.

Motorola still owns better than 80 percent of the public safety market share. They're not going anywhere.

Harris is good in the mix because they provide competitive systems, and competition ensures that nobody gets lazy. A monopoly would be VERY bad. It encourages laziness on the part of the only source you can go to.

The only stones you can throw at Motorola today are all related to their way of doing business. They're very
systems-focused, and it may get to the point that you can't just buy individual radios from them unless you
have an existing contract for a complete system already signed and in force. They don't consider the
sales of individual radios to be all that important now. I do think that's a mistake, but they'll soon learn
from it, I think.

They also need to get past the planned obsolescence. When they sell a new trunking system, the date at which the Astro firmware goes obsolete is already determined. They FORCE upgrades even when the older revision may suit the customer's needs FOREVER.

I strongly disagree with that model. I believe that stable system firmware releases are the way to go,
rather than selling new firmware to the customer every six months and giving them no real choice in the matter.

We all know that new software doesn't necessarly equate to better software. Remember XTS5000 CPS release 15.something, the one that corrupted radios left and right? Nice job, dummy! They had to issue a patched release to fix that problem.

Elroy
The problem with owning 80% of a market is that once you've addressed the new adopters, pretty much your entire market is existing systems - and those are mostly existing Motorola systems. If they change their business model, and stop forklift upgrading customers every 10 years or so, they die. There isn't enough business to sustain the company otherwise.

Now I have seen some talkgroups - I think it was 10040 or like that - it was during Obama´s visit in Hallandale and here local at Golden Beach - but what i dont understand is that no sound was coming from the speaker - and it was not encrypted... does anyone has aclue about what the problem here is??

Status
Not open for further replies.