Miami-Dade County...update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Is Miami-Dade County back on the P25 system ? I was told they had problems with the new system running encrypted. Are they running in the clear ? Or are the back on the old EDACS? Is Fire still UHF conventional?

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Shortly after they switched to the P25 system, they encountered problems, but all they did was switch to clear mode and remained on the new system for a while. When that didn't work, they decided to switch back to the old EDACS system. As of today, they are still on the old EDACS system. I heard they are doing lots of testing on the P25 system but haven't switched yet. I haven't heard what the actual problem is/was, but it seems it went beyond encryption.

Fire is still on UHF conventional and from what I've heard, they have no plans on going over to 800 MHz.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Thanks for the quick reply. Coming down in a few weeks for business and just wanted to make sure everything was programmed correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
That's great news. Do you have any idea as to why that is?

I really don't know the reason why. I can only speculate this goes back to when the county went to 800 EDACS in the mid 90s when the fire department briefly switched to 800, but they had safety concerns and switched back to UHF within a few days. The new P25 system does not have additional sites and their coverage is probably the same as the old EDACS system (which is far from perfect in my opinion).

rapidcharger

I really don't know the reason why. I can only speculate this goes back to when the county went to 800 EDACS in the mid 90s when the fire department briefly switched to 800, but they had safety concerns and switched back to UHF within a few days. The new P25 system does not have additional sites and their coverage is probably the same as the old EDACS system (which is far from perfect in my opinion).

Thanks for the reply.
It makes sense to stay there in UHF analog conventional. Especially in a hurricane prone area. From my high rise home away from home, I've heard them using talk-around for fire ground. That also makes sense. Refreshing to see good decisions being made in government with regards to radio for a change. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue is clearly proud of the work they are doing and also want to keep the public informed as evidenced by their online posting of their CAD calls.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

radiomanNJ1

So, I guess your area of radio expertise is in?

Trunking systems nationwide work fine day in and day out. Miami-Dade's system worked during many periods of bad weather as well as neighboring counties.

Perhaps and I can't say with any level of expertise that you may have there is a design issue which might include a funding problem.

Thanks for the reply.
It makes sense to stay there in UHF analog conventional. Especially in a hurricane prone area. From my high rise home away from home, I've heard them using talk-around for fire ground. That also makes sense. Refreshing to see good decisions being made in government with regards to radio for a change. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue is clearly proud of the work they are doing and also want to keep the public informed as evidenced by their online posting of their CAD calls.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
So, I guess your area of radio expertise is in?

Trunking systems nationwide work fine day in and day out. Miami-Dade's system worked during many periods of bad weather as well as neighboring counties.

Perhaps and I can't say with any level of expertise that you may have there is a design issue which might include a funding problem.

Wait... are you referring to the Miami EDACS system? You accused me some time ago of being a Harris employee because I said EDACS can work just as well as any other trunking system.

Not trying to start an argument, just wondering what changed?

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
The reason Miami-Dade County Fire-Rescue is staying on UHF is that when the 800 radios get wet they can not communicate. They tried going to the 800 mhz EDACS in the past. When working a fire units could see each other but could not communicate on the radio.

Dade PD Station 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, Muni 3 (Municipal West), NMB, Micco, and Hialeah Gardens are on the P25.
They are getting ready for Station 4, and 6, as well as Muni 2 (Municipal) soon.

If you want to know the current updates and what is going on join my group.
www.yahoogroups.com
"SEFLORIDA" group.

N4KVE

They tried going to the 800 mhz EDACS in the past. When working a fire units could see each other but could not communicate on the radio.
I worked in Miami when the Edacs system came to be. The FD tried it for about 8 days, & then decided their UHF system worked better. I respect their actions in that they weren't sheeple, & stayed with what worked better by telling the county, sorry, we're not going to an 800 trunking system when the UHF conventional system works great. To this day, they are still there.

scanner92

Scanner for Miami Dade

Does anyone know if there is a scanner on the market that is capable of scanning miami dade's new P25 system?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
They are planning to be Phase I and utilize DES encryption, so the answer is no if their plans go as expected.

jdobbs2001

Shortly after they switched to the P25 system, they encountered problems, but all they did was switch to clear mode and remained on the new system for a while. When that didn't work, they decided to switch back to the old EDACS system. As of today, they are still on the old EDACS system. I heard they are doing lots of testing on the P25 system but haven't switched yet. I haven't heard what the actual problem is/was, but it seems it went beyond encryption.

Fire is still on UHF conventional and from what I've heard, they have no plans on going over to 800 MHz.

wow makes sense. Even on analog it was unreadable. It sounded really bad. P25 digital is a stupid idea it makes no sense, saves no bandwidth, adds complexity for the sake of it. To top it off you get crappier coverage and issues with simulcast.

jdobbs2001

They are planning to be Phase I and utilize DES encryption, so the answer is no if their plans go as expected.

If quantum mechanics allow it. Miami Dade is not some podunk town that bought one of them fancy 80 million dollar taxpayer funded P25 systems to service a radius of 3 miles and 5 radios. :)

We are a big area, highly populated with lots of buildings and lots of square miles to service and lots of radios to work.

This fancy stuff looks great in environments such as the podunk towns, then HRS uses them as showcase setups to sucker in the big cities into buying this stuff.

jdobbs2001

The reason Miami-Dade County Fire-Rescue is staying on UHF is that when the 800 radios get wet they can not communicate. They tried going to the 800 mhz EDACS in the past. When working a fire units could see each other but could not communicate on the radio.

Dade PD Station 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, Muni 3 (Municipal West), NMB, Micco, and Hialeah Gardens are on the P25.
They are getting ready for Station 4, and 6, as well as Muni 2 (Municipal) soon.

If you want to know the current updates and what is going on join my group.
www.yahoogroups.com
"SEFLORIDA" group.

dont exist.

A direct link would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.