Miami-Dade Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustelephone

Using a BCD436HP, seems to be picking up the system and the sites, but there are almost no communications. Are they using this system? Do I need additional equipment to hear them?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Make sure you only have Site 102 programmed in for the PD or you may be locking on to a site that carries limited or no PD talkgroups. Also keep in mind that Harris' flavor of LSM is very hard to decode on a scanner.

prc117f

Sorry to tell you but the Uniden product is unusable in dade county due to LSM Simulcast. This is why I ordered a Unication G5

The problem is when Uniden designed the new scanners they invested the R&D money into everything except the radio. The added all kinds of features like Wifi siren etc.. stuff that was not even working out of the box when they sold it for quite some time. I am not even sure how well it works now that they finally fixed? the issues.

Uniden still has the Radio designed for traditional analog narrowband FM trunking and the hack they used to sort of make it work is stick a discriminator tap into the post demodulated audio section and then try to demodulate digital.

The problem with that is that it is a poor design that fails miserably in large metro P25 systems that use simulcast.

Your best bet is to return it and save up for a proper 21st century design product (ie the Unication product) or wait for Uniden to come out with a real P25 scanner.

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
PRC...the Unication works great on Miami-Dade's P25 system. Just make sure you have it set up as DEC RFSS 102 Site 1. The database has site 65 which is incorrect. You can also set it to FFF which will display the proper site number if you have issues on other systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prc117f

PRC...the Unication works great on Miami-Dade's P25 system. Just make sure you have it set up as DEC RFSS 102 Site 1. The database has site 65 which is incorrect. You can also set it to FFF which will display the proper site number if you have issues on other systems.

Thanks for the heads up I was programming ahead of time before I get the radio. I wonder why RR has not corrected that.

Curious did you try the Uniden 536? I borrowed one and no luck, it was practically a brick if I wanted to use it for P25 in Miami Dade.

I am glad I was patient enough to wait and see.

Last edited:

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
My 3 BCD536HP's and 1 BCD536HP works great for Miami-Dade. I can pick up more Miami-Dade activity than my 4 scanners can take from here in the Monroe County. Don't know what you are doing wrong but I get everything except their encrypted channels of course.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Captainmax1...you are probably only receiving one of the Miami Dade towers in Monroe county...yet getting overloaded from Monroe County. And that's why you are receiving the furthest one better than the other.

W8RMH...Locals are not having Simulcast issues on their commercial subscribers. My Unication G5, XTS and APX picked it up with zero issues.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I also travel to Miami-Dade about once a week for the day and I still get more activity than I can listen while in the area with no issues. You shouldn't be having problems with the Uniden Scanners if they are set up and programmed properly. I get all unencrypted P25 from all the entities within Miami Dade. Something must not be set up properly on your Uniden if you aren't receiving nearly constant action.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I was in Miami today and took my 436 with me. I do not have any problems receiving communications from all entities on the Miami Dade Public Service system. Got everything including Miami Gardens, Miami Beach, Miami Lakes, Intercoastal, BOLO, etc. The radio was never quiet no matter where I was. If you're not getting these results, something is wrong on your end. I use Sentinel for ALL my x36 programming.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yes, they are encrypted on their talkgroup. Sometimes you'll hear their dispatch "Miami Gardens 50" on MDPD 6 Intracoastal talking to County.

bailly2

If it is lsm simulcast distortion stick the antenna threw the side of an empty paint can, near the bottom

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Miami Dade has lots of encryption now but I still get plenty of talk. Car to Car. Dispatch, Warrants, intercity, etc. Still plenty to listen to in Miami Dade. Same in Broward also.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Anyone running the Whistler TRX-2 on Miami-Dade's P25 TRS ? Looking for some input on performance.

jafarm66

Miani Dade PD Potential Fix

Try changing the threshold to Manual 6 for Miami Dade PD on the 436. I know this works by friends who have that setting. Also they are very hard to pickup outside of Dade county unless you are in South Broward. I am in North Broward in their coverage circle and I don't receive anything from them.

ustelephone

Works fine now that I limit to Site 102. Reception works fine in my living room, thank God - but if I leave the house I have a hard time which is bizarre. Any recommendations for a good magnet mount antenna specifically for this band? I use rental cars, so can do anything permanent.

Also, is there any add/on software/hardware for decryption and is doing so legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.