Miami_Dade Police Deploying Motorola APX Next Radios on their Harris System

Status
Not open for further replies.

junior71

P25 interoperability is making the game interesting. Miami-Dade may be the biggest fence jumper I've heard of, having a Harris system but going with Moto subscriber units, but it's not the only fence jumper I've heard of. I have heard unconfirmed reports, but from a generally reliable source, that Volusia County is trialing Moto gear on their Harris system and liking it.

I'm also hoping that other Harris zones like Brevard end up also doing the same thing. But to be clear about it, I would be happy for them to be buying and using radios from both manufacturers where it makes sense. I'm no longer the Moto exclusive fanboi that I once was. At this moment I'm more connected into the Harris environment, and I think my XL185P is nice. Wish it was a 200, though.
Those 200’s are ridiculously priced right now on FleaBay! All over 4K? SMH

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I've got the current Harris price book.

Depending on which version XL-200 you pick, the base price varies from 2700 to 4030 dollars.
Add 1500 for all band operation.,
Add 1500 for P25 trunking Phase 1.
Add 250 to add Phase 2
1130 for LTE software

4K is very reasonable.

You can easily option one up over 10K.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
MDFR Conventional UHF Analog - Continues. However, on my radio, I can switch over to a number on unencrypted county services Zones that are 800mhz, including MIA, MDPD, and Hospitals AND patch overs to Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue Tac Channels. Currently, the NEXT Capability is unchanged from my previous APX7700e. In the future, more NEXT options will open up.
Oh, and by the way, the MDFR Comms Chief interviewed in the Miami-Dade Article for this "No Bid Contract" has been "relieved and demoted" to Captain.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
Alan Leonard sold me a "MTS2000" that was a HT1000 radio jammed into a 6 button MTS front housing. Last time I saw him was probably 15 years ago at the Orlando hamfest. He did not look well. RV Chuck - pretty sure he got stung pretty hard by the FBI at Dayton in the early 2000's for selling hacked Direct TV "F" cards. There was another guy Sheffield from Texas who was a regular in the biz as well, and some guys in Orlando who were putting Type 1 radios on the original Orange Co 1F36 system.... days long past.

N4KVE

Alan Leonard sold me a "MTS2000" that was a HT1000 radio jammed into a 6 button MTS front housing.
Sounds like him. OTOH, in the mid 90’s I bought a mint MRK from him, brought it to the Dade County radio shop, & had a buddy dump in the entire Metro Dade radio system. That radio worked great right up until they went to the Harris system. Still have it. I even bought a WPLN4114 charger from you many years ago.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Panik is a friend of mine and he's semi-retired but still playing a little in the radio/surplus electronics business, mostly just to give himself something to do and get out of the house. We've made a little money working together recently.

He sold out all his warehouse inventory about a year ago and leases out both of his buildings.

ID2345

K4SVT yet again
Banned
P25 interoperability is making the game interesting. Miami-Dade may be the biggest fence jumper I've heard of, having a Harris system but going with Moto subscriber units, but it's not the only fence jumper I've heard of. I have heard unconfirmed reports, but from a generally reliable source, that Volusia County is trialing Moto gear on their Harris system and liking it.

I'm also hoping that other Harris zones like Brevard end up also doing the same thing. But to be clear about it, I would be happy for them to be buying and using radios from both manufacturers where it makes sense. I'm no longer the Moto exclusive fanboi that I once was. At this moment I'm more connected into the Harris environment, and I think my XL185P is nice. Wish it was a 200, though.
They are using 185s i havent seen motorolas in the field both systems sound good on my XL200p but they are in the process of moving to the new p25 system.

ID2345

K4SVT yet again
Banned
I've got the current Harris price book.

Depending on which version XL-200 you pick, the base price varies from 2700 to 4030 dollars.
Add 1500 for all band operation.,
Add 1500 for P25 trunking Phase 1.
Add 250 to add Phase 2
1130 for LTE software

4K is very reasonable.

You can easily option one up over
Brevard is too broke to get LTE..just a bunch of talk about it.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I made an interesting discovery. Harris is charging 2000 dollars for the P25 and EDACS trunking package for the XLs, but yet, EDACS is fully implemented in the base radio and does not require the addition of a trunking package that contains EDACS in order to have EDAcS functinality.

So Harris is charging customers a second time for a feature that's in the base radio.
My own 185 has NO trunking packages in it. This is confirmed. And it works fine on EDACS. With ProVoice, no less.

If this were to come to the attention of the right people, it may result in what would begin as a polite request for Harris to reimburse their customers for the feature they didn't need to be buying because it was a base capability.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You sure about that? I'm looking at the very latest NYS contract pricing for L3 Harris, and it lists a few different "Operational Mode" packages for the XL mobiles and portables.

One is XL-PKGED Feature Package, EDACS Trunking with a list of $1,600 and NYS contract price of $1,184. The other is XL-P25ED Feature Package, P25 and EDACS Trunking with a list of $2,200 and NYS price of $1,628

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at the current Harris catalog AND copies of invoices I requested from a local city to find what they're buying and what they're paying, and I'm looking at my own 185's actual birth certificate (it came new in the box with the radio, film still over the windows, yes serials match and all) and its feature list, whether seen on the BC, displayed in the radio's menus, or via RPM2, all clearly show NO trunking feature packages at all. Yet it works perfectly on EDACS.

Straight from the radio's .fss file...

<features>
<feature featureID="PL4A" />
<feature featureID="PL4N" />
<feature featureID="PL8T" />
<feature featureID="PL4M" />
<feature featureID="PL8G" />
<feature featureID="PL8X" />
<feature featureID="PL8U" />
<feature featureID="PL9A" />
<feature featureID="PL9C" />
<feature featureID="PL8P" />
<feature featureID="PL9E" />
<feature featureID="PL4U" />
<feature featureID="PL4L" />

And from the radio's displayed feature set...all of it....
P25 conventional
Bluetooth
GPS
Enhanced ID
7-800
LTE
DES single key
Wifi hotspot
Wifi Voice
BeOn
Wifi enab
Mandown
Wifi client
AES single key

That's the whole feature list for this radio.

EDACS and ProVoice work.

Why are we paying extra to add feature packages that include EDACS trunking operation?

Probably because nobody realizes, they don't HAVE to.

It's like discovering that the car salesman is charging you for wheels and tires, though they're included
in the base price of the vehicle.

Is that fraud? Or is the salesdroid going to call it an "oversight" and act like a cat trying to cover up a fresh steamy one on a tile floor?
Or is he going to try to put on a dog and pony show for you and tell you that you have to have that feature for....something... to work correctly?

ID2345

K4SVT yet again
Banned
I made an interesting discovery. Harris is charging 2000 dollars for the P25 and EDACS trunking package for the XLs, but yet, EDACS is fully implemented in the base radio and does not require the addition of a trunking package that contains EDACS in order to have EDAcS functinality.

So Harris is charging customers a second time for a feature that's in the base radio.
My own 185 has NO trunking packages in it. This is confirmed. And it works fine on EDACS. With ProVoice, no less.

If this were to come to the attention of the right people, it may result in what would begin as a polite request for Harris to reimburse their customers for the feature they didn't need to be buying because it was a base capability.
The newer XLs do not come with EDACS and Provoice. I got lucky with mine though..whats the newest you know about brevard and where they are heading?

Status
Not open for further replies.