Miamisburg Talk Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy1974

Premium Subscriber
Hello all

i have recently got back into listening to the scanner world. I bought a Gre PSR-310 to get back in the game.

My question is regarding the City of Miamisburg and Miami Township..

I have always used the talkgroups found in this for Miamisburg when i programed them in i don't hear any traffic. Did Miamisburg change talk groups?? even with the new communication center they would still use and dispatch calls via those talkgroups? any who can help with this would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Miamisburg is now dispatched thru the regional dispatched center as you mentioned. This center has really changed they way everything works. The talkgroup you want for dispatches is 144... it's listed as SO South in the DB. A tad incorrect in description if you ask me... Lots of Southern suburbs there too . Miami Township uses it IIRC.... Montgomery County OH Trunking System, Dayton, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies Assuming they aren't dispatched via MDT you should hear the dispatched call there. I bet Miamsburg Tac & car2car talkgroups are still being used. But I don't listen to them and rarely even listen to the regional dispatch talkgroups. I live and listen to one of the few cities that isn't part of that.

That is in addition to what OHIO63 wrote. Re-banding is underway but don't believe it's complete for this system yet. Soon to be an issue for you and I very shortly. ... fortunately you have scanner that will deal with it though ;-)

I have been monitoring for a few minutes and can confirm Miamisburg units on 144. Good luck and have fun getting back into the hobby. Keep looking on this site for re-banding info http://forums.radioreference.com/oh...3461-ohio-rebanded-trunked-radio-systems.html I would take the info in that thread or any info shared by the original postal as gospel.

Last edited:

andy1974

Premium Subscriber
ok

ok that makes sence, i have many friends that work at miamisburg fire and I know the captain and inspector well. We were talking about the the radio trafficAnd they said there has been alot of changes with equipt and traffic over the past 4 years. one question i have is about the miamisburg pd radios in the feild. are they activated by pl tones for just their jurisdiction? or are they hearing All MCSO traffic? if so wouldnt that be very confusing to the officers?and once the rebanding takes place will we see those cities go back to their own talkgoups that they were orig assinged?

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
ok that makes sence, i have many friends that work at miamisburg fire and I know the captain and inspector well. We were talking about the the radio trafficAnd they said there has been alot of changes with equipt and traffic over the past 4 years. one question i have is about the miamisburg pd radios in the feild. are they activated by pl tones for just their jurisdiction? or are they hearing All MCSO traffic? if so wouldnt that be very confusing to the officers?and once the rebanding takes place will we see those cities go back to their own talkgoups that they were orig assinged?

As was stated earlier, Miamisburg and Miami Township Police are dispatched on SO SOUTH tg 144. They use plain English identifier unit numbers in accordance to shift and beat i.e. Miamisburg 121, Miami (Twp) 321 etc.

PL tones are not used in trunking systems. The dispatcher has the ability to communicate with specific radios, so the dispatcher while although on a region wide talkgroup can activate the specific radio/unit for dispatching. Its all done through computer control of the system.

Also, they each have a local talkgroup for car to car comms and such. So when the officers need to talk to each other you will hear them say "switch to local". When they switch to local they only hear other. I rarely ever hear the assigned TAC talkgroups used. Many of the other talkgroups listed for Miamisburg and Miami Township have not been heard in years, so once rebanding is complete we could see some re-arrangement of these.

Also rebanding of Montgomery County has crawled to a standstill for now as they workout a conflict with a near-by system. Originally it was to have been completed in June, but its looking more like end of the this year, beginning of next at this point.

I live on the Miami Township and Washington Township line, so I monitor them 24/7.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Also Miamisburg Fire and Miami Township Fire are now dispatched by the RDC on tg 13232. The RDC is located on the old Mound Laboratories site in Miamisburg. The old Miamisburg Fire repeater (154.445) is gone. The Miami Township Fire repeater on 154.3550 is still active but it is never used and hasn't been in years. All fire communications take place on the county trunk system.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
The talkgroup you want for dispatches is 144... it's listed as SO South in the DB. A tad incorrect in description if you ask me... Lots of Southern suburbs there too .

How is it incorrect? That is way the county radios are tagged.
What would you suggest it be changed to?

andy1974

Premium Subscriber
I think he is refering to the list of talk groups that dont reflect your information, i have searched far and wide for info that supports your info, however, only find the talkgroups found here and other sites. I am not saying your worng i am just saying how confusing for the new hobbiest to sit and program a new scanner to only find the list of talkgroups he entered does not match what he is hearing or searching for. Maybe its time for some lists to be updated especially since you have made sevral coments about published talkgroups in the lists not being used in years. Aye ?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
PL tones are not used in trunking systems. The dispatcher has the ability to communicate with specific radios, so the dispatcher while although on a region wide talkgroup can activate the specific radio/unit for dispatching. Its all done through computer control of the system.

This isn't exactly correct. On a trunked system a dispatcher can call a specific radio but only through use of private call, which means no one other than the called unit would be able to hear the dispatch message. Using private call for dispatching is almost unheard of and labor intensive for both dispatcher and patrol unit, and in the event of a run requiring two or more cars means each would have to be called individually, thus causing a considerable delay in getting units to the scene. On top of that, most departments rely on patrol units (especially supervisors) maintaining a mental picture of activity in the area; private call dispatching makes this impossible.

Some departments may send a single unit to a minor request for service via private call occasionally, but this is pretty rare and could be a safety issue if the responding officer gets into trouble and no one knows where he/she is.

Runs *can* be sent individually through computer terminals without sending them over the voice radio, but like using private call, there is a potential safety issue when no one on the street knows where an officer is going.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The talkgroup you want for dispatches is 144... it's listed as SO South in the DB. A tad incorrect in description if you ask me... Lots of Southern suburbs there too.

We can certainly change the description field to add a bit more information, but the talkgroup name itself is correct based on the way county radios are programmed and talkgroups referred to on the air, as Mark pointed out. The Sheriff's Office does the dispatching (or did), ergo SO SOUTH. This is no different than in other areas such as Columbus, where the SO dispatches for many suburban police departments, yet the talkgroups are SO DSP W and SO DSP E.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I think he is refering to the list of talk groups that dont reflect your information, i have searched far and wide for info that supports your info, however, only find the talkgroups found here and other sites. I am not saying your worng i am just saying how confusing for the new hobbiest to sit and program a new scanner to only find the list of talkgroups he entered does not match what he is hearing or searching for. Maybe its time for some lists to be updated especially since you have made sevral coments about published talkgroups in the lists not being used in years. Aye ?

Andy,

Nay.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get across here. The talkgroup and conventional frequency lists are correct and as up to date as possible; even though a talkgroup or frequency may be seldom (or never) used, it is very likely still in service and available locally for interoperability purposes. As such, it stays in the database.

If you have specific examples of what you feel are incorrect entries, please don't keep them to yourself, but rather share them so everyone can discuss and benefit.

Last edited:

andy1974

Premium Subscriber
i just think i have taken too long of a break from the hobby. so i am still expecting to hear the same i did several years ago when miamisburg and miami twp talkgroups were primarly used for main traffic ( pre MCSO comm center ) so i was just saying maybe the list should have comments stating that those older talk groups are Dispatched from the MCSO comm center. and the talkgroups are for "Talkaround" or "TAC"

andy1974

Premium Subscriber
ok, when listening the MCSO trunk system i hear dispatch refer to ops channels, i have most of the talk groups programed. However there is one that they use that i cant find the talkgroup for, i have looked in the database here for it and cant find it. the talkgroup is "MED 8 A" anyone that can help , thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.