Mic Extension for ft-8800R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sccafire

I have the face plate mounted between the sunvisors in a 05 Jeep Wrangler. As you may know the mic plugs into the right side of the face plate. What do I need to make an extension so th emic does not hang from the face plate?

Are there are tools, crimpers or what not that would make it easier to do? I believe somebody said phone cord or 5 wire.

If somebody could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Scott
K6SVW

mrweather

If it's anything like the FT-8900 the mic uses a 6-conductor modular end.

Get yourself some 6-conductor modular cable, some 6-conductor modular ends, a coupler and a good crimper. Make the extension cable "straight through", i.e. pin-to-pin.

I did the exact same thing with my FT-8900 and it worked fine.

cquirk

there is something called a MEK 2 made by Yaesu that apparently does this, little detail on the web site, high cost as you might expect, there is one on Ebay this morning, going to run over to our local radio store later and see what I can about it as I need one also.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Yes, afaik it's a straight through extension cable, pin to pin wiring. Some telephone cable and RJ-25 (I think the 6pin variety) connectors will do it. Home Depot sells the Ideal Telemaster crimper, wire and cable ends...just check if they are 4 pin or 6, I believe they are the 6, which are a bit trickier to find.

The easy way out is a 'coupler' as far as the mic to the cable you make. A 6 pin coupler is $2 or so.

The Yaesu extension kits are $60+ for some patch cable and a mounting bracket that slips on the back of the control head...I got mine free with the 857 and 8800R and would have been _pissed_ if I paid for them.

Both Loews and Home Depot have crimpers, connectors, cable. Avoid Radio Shack at all costs for the connectors and crimpers unless it is your only choice. Radio Shack connector ends are horrendously low quality and just crack in the crimpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.