Michigan City Park Dist Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

retired25

I was in the area for the 4th of July and wanted to listen to the lifeguards in Washington Park. I tried looking up frequencies in the FCC database but didn't find much. The only Park District frequencies were for the Michigan City golf courses. I tried to listen to a few of the other Michigan City VHF frequencies in the database but didn't hear any traffic. Does anyone happen to know what frequency they use? There was a missing swimmer one day that I heard on the PD and FD frequencies, but nothing from the lifeguards that responded. Thanks!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Have you tried business freqs as they could be provided by an contracted company... Not sure if MCPD MCFD or County Emergency Services provide Lifeguard Services?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The only MC Parks I can find so far is for the Zoo. 152.3300 Repeater, 15 watts, so not gonna hear that unless your right at the Zoo.

retired25

I put the Zoo repeater in and was about 1/2 mile away and never heard anything Friday and Saturday. It looks like the lifeguards work for the Park District at Washington Park. There has been a few articles about them recently and they don't mention any outsourced service. With MiCity PD, FD, PW and Coast Guard being VHF it would make sense that they were using VHF too, but I did scan the few UHF frequencies that are licensed to MiCity without any success. I did not try the MURS or Itinerant frequencies yet. I don't know which is worse being the guy at the beach with a metal detector or the guy with the frequency counter.

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
I'm not too sure the lifeguards have radios. I don't think I've seen any with radios any of the times I've been down to the beach. They've got a 4x4 pickup that might have a radio, but that's probably it.

It's not like they've got a large area to cover. Only about two stops, or about 3/4 of a mile of beach.

retired25

There was a big article in the local paper last week about the lifeguards. They have been responding to calls for service as far down as stop 20. They have a new 4x4 UTV that has a long bed on the back that they have been jumping into to respond to calls easier than using the 4x4 pickup. In the article it had this, "So," Hakim said, "it was me with three other guards, with no equipment, no radios, since we hadn't clocked back in yet." That was what got me thinking about listening to their radios, and with the 4th last week figured it would be worth checking out. I will take a walk down there and ask them the next time I am in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.