Michigan Driving Law....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy252

ive always thought that turning into the right turn lane to pass a driver turning left was legal, but someone told me it was illegal. I cant find the answer anywhere else, so who is right?

Attachments

• demo.jpg
    demo.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,023

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If it's right turn ONLY then yes, it's illegal... Otherwise it is okay.

MetalManMI

Jimmy252 said:
ive always thought that turning into the right turn lane to pass a driver turning left was legal, but someone told me it was illegal. I cant find the answer anywhere else, so who is right?

If the white line is not solid (as you've illustrated)...AND...the lane is not posted "Right Lane Must Turn Right", then you'd be OK.

If the lane is truly a right turn lane (as you've described), then it would be considered improper lane use (illegal).

SCPD

QRT
So to make sure ...

MetalManMI said:
If the white line is not solid (as you've illustrated)...AND...the lane is not posted "Right Lane Must Turn Right", then you'd be OK.

If the lane is truly a right turn lane (as you've described), then it would be considered improper lane use (illegal).

I'm glad this was brought up, I've wondered myself about the question I pose below.
I'm on a three lane freeway, all lines are white striped. There's a truck doing 5 under in the middle lane.
So you say I CAN pass on the right, correct?

KMTC

My brother's friend was pulled over and ticketed for doing exactly as your diagram shows. I always thought it was legal.

seamusg

From Michigan SOS:
Passing on the Right
When two or more lanes of traffic are moving in the same
direction, passing other vehicles in either lane is allowed. However,
slower moving vehicles should always stay in the lane
farthest to the right except when preparing to make a left turn.
When driving in the right lane, passing another vehicle should
be done cautiously, as the driver of the other vehicle may not see
you and may turn into your path. Passing on the right of another
vehicle by crossing the solid white line that marks the edge of the
roadway is prohibited, even if the shoulder is paved or a bike lane
is present.

MetalManMI

Wyandotte said:
I'm glad this was brought up, I've wondered myself about the question I pose below.
I'm on a three lane freeway, all lines are white striped. There's a truck doing 5 under in the middle lane.
So you say I CAN pass on the right, correct?

Correct, although it would likely be safer to pass on the left in that scenario.

k8tmk

Here's another weird scenario:

I often get behind drivers who hold up traffic because they won't use the center "left-turn only" lane. I suspect their thinking is that because there is a solid yellow line along the outsides of the left-turn lane, they aren't supposed to move over into that lane.

Very annoying during heavy oncoming traffic.

Randy

bigk_54

Yes it is illegal and most people dont think that it is at all! We have a grocery store in town that is on 131 and people do it all the time and well if the cops are bored they nab people for it! Its improper lane usage because it is considered a bike lane/shoulder not a passing lane. If there are 2 lanes of traffic (one in each direction) and there is a solid white line you can NOT use the pavement to the right of it to pass.

SCPD

QRT
If there is a DOUBLE YELLOW, on your side, at the spot you wish to enter the "center turn only" lane to turn left, that is illegal...The only time it is legal to enter a "left turn only" lane to turn left, is when you have One SOLID YELLOW and One BROKEN YELLOW on your side.

This is especially true at an intersection for say when a drug store or gas station is on the corner at a 4 way intersection...it is illegal to cross the intersection then say immediately get into the left turn only lane to turn left into the gas station when oncoming traffic may have the green arrow coming in your direction in that lane. There would most definately be a double yellow at that point....but i see people try it all the time

k8tmk said:
Here's another weird scenario:

I often get behind drivers who hold up traffic because they won't use the center "left-turn only" lane. I suspect their thinking is that because there is a solid yellow line along the outsides of the left-turn lane, they aren't supposed to move over into that lane.

Very annoying during heavy oncoming traffic.

Randy

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
bigk_54 said:
Yes it is illegal and most people dont think that it is at all! We have a grocery store in town that is on 131 and people do it all the time and well if the cops are bored they nab people for it! Its improper lane usage because it is considered a bike lane/shoulder not a passing lane. If there are 2 lanes of traffic (one in each direction) and there is a solid white line you can NOT use the pavement to the right of it to pass.

If it is a bike lane, then you cannot pass. If it has the dashed white lines, then you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.