Michigan Gets Waiver to Add DTE Energy to Statewide Public-Safety System

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayAir

I don't think DTE had much voice traffic. At least they didn't on their VHF freq's. Shouldn't be too bad regarding loading.

Now OTOH, those 18 or so Flint MTA bus TG's clog at least 3 sites all day and into the wee hours of the night.

I think the wide area ComSource Connect Plus system is better for non public safety.

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
A private for profit company should not be on the state system. Unless they allow switching over the phone switching can tie up a radio for a while

szron

Part of the agreement is that they will also fund infrastructure which could be very beneficial in under served areas.

But I share your concerns that it will add load to the system during storm events but then again I've experienced an event with major storm as a user of the system and it was pretty bad, without DTE on it and I'm pretty sure DTE's TG could be deprioritized.

Also I'd love to be able to call in outages where PD or FD is standing by over a dedicated TG instead of getting through the reps at the call center.

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
The Nevada Shared Radio System is like this. The FCC issued a waiver so NV Energy could operate on a system using public safety frequencies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Also I'd love to be able to call in outages where PD or FD is standing by over a dedicated TG instead of getting through the reps at the call center.

That could be good, dedicate one person to taking radio reports, from public safety dispatch centers, which would would free up telephone assets.

Sent via Tapatalk

Cameron314

Not really all that uncommon, a lot of times these utilities (most electric) help build the systems or add to them with sites, freq or money.

I know https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2324 Illinois state system has Ameren on it.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=706 Nevada Shared Radio System

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3918 Arkansas

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6643 Ohio

Just a few I could think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. Building large wide area coverage systems isn't cheap so it helps to have a little help sometimes.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
This actually makes a lot of sense in an era of belt-tightening and budget woes. Extra money to help fund the system, and a way to provide stable communications to critical infrastructure operators.

N9IIT

(AES-owned) Indianapolis Power & Light and (quasi-municipally owned) Citizens Energy both have TGs on the Indianapolis Department of Public Safety Government Services (System 2) TRS.

Back when 800 TRS analog was state of the art, IPL had their own /\/\otorola TRS, and Citizens had an Ericsson system.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DTE for years installed Cell Sites on their Transmission Towers (now owned by ITC) Perhaps their Towers/Poles will be used for MPSCS Antenna Sites in the future?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
if the state is prudent they should de-prioritize the dte groups so emerg svcs have priority. also buses need lower status.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
if the state is prudent they should de-prioritize the dte groups so emerg svcs have priority. also buses need lower status.

That's standard procedure. Even within municipal systems, certain functions are given a lower priority. In Columbus (GA), for instance, the recycling center, buses, urban forestry, animal control, the Civic Center, etc., are at the bottom of the list. Police, Fire and Ambulance are at the top.

RayAir

Does anyone have a time frame for when this switch to the MPSCS will occur?

Is it confirmed they will encrypt all of their operations?

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
Does anyone have a time frame for when this switch to the MPSCS will occur?

Is it confirmed they will encrypt all of their operations?

I would be surprised they would spend the money to encrypt all radio calls just fort someone has no power. If they wanted to, they would have gone with provoice a while ago when no one could listen to them.

diskmonger

I believe ADP encryption is basically a free option now, it's not even a matter if they want to spend the money anymore, it's if they want it or not.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Without looking at the DB- I seem to think ITC has had talkgroups for a while. And encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.