Michigan Moving to 700mhz ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firephotographer50

Premium Subscriber
Hello all.

According to the link I found Michigan may be in the first steps of moving to a 700 mhz trunked radio system. I don' t know what the time line is, but it may be in the works.

http://www.mpsfac.org/4102006fccfiling.pdf

I have a couple of questions about this and scanners:
1) Would the Uniden BC296D that I have be able to trunk a system like this after firmwire upgrades?
2) If not, what scanners would be able to?
3) Does anyone know a possible timeline for the new system to be implimented?

Thanks,
John

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Illinois STARCOM21 statewide uses 700 MHz frequencies and the BCD396T and BCD996T can track them, however the PRO-96 and PRO-2096 can not track them, only scan them conventionally. I'm not sure about the 296/796.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
This is the initial plan for implementing 700 MHz frequencies within Region 21. As with most regions, it only covers one state. It is not a state plan, the persons putting the plan together were from state, county and city governments. The plan sets out how agencies can apply for 700 MHz frequencies. The state or a city that needs additional spectrum would prepare an application and submit it to the planning group. The planning committee selects the frequencies, coordinates with any adjoining regions if anyt transmitters are within 70 miles of the state border, and the committee then forwards the application to APCO or one of the other frequency coordinators. The frequency coordinator then checks the application to see if it is complete and accurate and then enters the application into the FCC computer system. The FCC would then issue the license. The state may never want to use 700 MHz.

Each state was issued a small block of 700 MHz frequencies by the FCC. These are controlled by the state and can be reissued to other agencies within the state as Illinois did. Most states will use the block for interoperability.

There has only been one license issued by the FCC so far for frequencies that must be selected by the Region Committees. That is Independence, MO and that system is just coming on line. All other 700 frequencies used to now have been from the state blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.