Michigan MPSCS from Windsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokey

I have this simulcast system programmed into my 396T and from Windsor I cannot even pick up a control channel. I took it with me through the tunnel to Detroit and tried it on I-95 and still nothing all the way to Troy. Would there be a programming issue here? Should I be able to pick everything up from Windsor?

Jimmy252

Yea, its a programming issue, i've tracked MPSCS control chhannel from windsor before, and you should easily recieve the detroit tower 701 and the northville tower. I have a Pro96.

seamusg

pokey said:
I have this simulcast system programmed into my 396T and from Windsor I cannot even pick up a control channel. I took it with me through the tunnel to Detroit and tried it on I-95 and still nothing all the way to Troy. Would there be a programming issue here? Should I be able to pick everything up from Windsor?
Do you have firmware version 1.11.03? If not go to the Uniden site, download and install it.

pokey

seamusg said:
Do you have firmware version 1.11.03? If not go to the Uniden site, download and install it.

Yes I do and frequencies are correct. Any hint as to what settings could be off in the ARC programming?

mikejeffdfd

Premium Subscriber
Forget about it!!! get a pro-96 I took it to Tecumseh ontario and I could still receive Detroit. I own a uniden 296d with the firmware upgrade from back in the late winter and it still has problems decoding the MPSC?? detroit system. I was always a uniden man but not when it comes to decoding digital, with my pro-96 I have received transmissions from Marquette to grand blanc to gennesse county & jackson my uniden cannot even recieve the eastern wayne county trunked (grosse pt) from 8 & woodward but my pro96 can. I have e-mailed uniden on several occasions to let them know if they are going to come out with a better firmware upgrade like radio shack has but they have never returned my e-mails. Yeah the tigers just won!!!!!!!!!!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Detroit can't be monitored outside of Detroit - that's not the question. He has a programming issue.

kc8syo

I beg to differ on that I listen to Detroit all the time from my apartment in Sterling Hgts on a Pro96 with a Rs 800mhz rubber duck.

Jimmy252

rdale said:
Detroit can't be monitored outside of Detroit - that's not the question. He has a programming issue.

RDALE, detroit is sometimes caught outside of the city, i heard sterling heights and farmington have been the best places to get detroit, but the way the detroit towers are pointing, they point from the outskirts of the city, and point to the southeast. I've got relatives in eastern windsor by the Airport, and detroit can be heard there, just because the towers point toward downtown. Windsor is getting the "crossfire" of the signals.

seamusg

pokey said:
Yes I do and frequencies are correct. Any hint as to what settings could be off in the ARC programming?
If you put the control channel in as a conventional channel can you hear the CC noise?

Jimmy252

seamusg said:
If you put the control channel in as a conventional channel can you hear the CC noise?

Yea, you can hear it, but that will be all you hear, it wont decode the digital part, all you would hear is the CC noise.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
kc8syo said:
I beg to differ on that I listen to Detroit all the time from my apartment in Sterling Hgts on a Pro96 with a Rs 800mhz rubber duck.

He said he's in Windsor - Detroit is not made to be monitored in Windsor. He said when he drives through Detroit he hears nothing - that's why I say it is a programming issue.

gg750

mikejeffdfd said:
Forget about it!!! get a pro-96 I took it to Tecumseh ontario and I could still receive Detroit. I own a uniden 296d with the firmware upgrade from back in the late winter and it still has problems decoding the MPSC?? detroit system. I was always a uniden man but not when it comes to decoding digital, with my pro-96 I have received transmissions from Marquette to grand blanc to gennesse county & jackson my uniden cannot even recieve the eastern wayne county trunked (grosse pt) from 8 & woodward but my pro96 can. I have e-mailed uniden on several occasions to let them know if they are going to come out with a better firmware upgrade like radio shack has but they have never returned my e-mails. Yeah the tigers just won!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I never had luck tracking the MPSCS with my 296 or 796. I don't have any experience with the 396 or 996 (yet...I want a 996), so the Pro-96/2096 is the best for digital in my opinion.

As for not getting the Detroit tower (or any other tower) from the Windsor area, that sounds like it may be a programming issue to me as well.

G

pokey

I live in Toronto but am always in Windsor so I can't check towers right now. What I do know is that when I go through each channel manually I am not even picking up a control channel, from Tecumseh. I stay in Tecumseh when I am down there and have only ever programmed in Detroit Simulcast frequencies. Any better towers I can program in? Someone posted a different one but said I wouldn't pick up Detroit Police with it...

gg750 said:
I agree. I never had luck tracking the MPSCS with my 296 or 796. I don't have any experience with the 396 or 996 (yet...I want a 996), so the Pro-96/2096 is the best for digital in my opinion.

As for not getting the Detroit tower (or any other tower) from the Windsor area, that sounds like it may be a programming issue to me as well.

G

seamusg

pokey said:
I live in Toronto but am always in Windsor so I can't check towers right now. What I do know is that when I go through each channel manually I am not even picking up a control channel, from Tecumseh. I stay in Tecumseh when I am down there and have only ever programmed in Detroit Simulcast frequencies. Any better towers I can program in? Someone posted a different one but said I wouldn't pick up Detroit Police with it...
There are other towers in the Detroit area for the MPSCS system, but the Detroit PD are only on site 701, the current listed neighbors for site 701 are: 202, 205, 206, and 210, and the current control channel for site 701 is 868.725. I don't normaly monitor Detroit, but do monitor 4 sites on MPSCS with my BC796D. I'm about 14 miles NE of Detroit and get the following towers: Northville (206), Mt. Clemens(210), Romeo(202) and Richmond(204). I haven't tried site 701 on the BC796D in for some time, but I did just bring it up on my PRO96 and ran PRO96COM to verify the control channel.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
You are not going to get Detroit T701 from Tecumseh. Try the Adrian tower or the Monroe simulcast.

Combustion

rdale said:
You are not going to get Detroit T701 from Tecumseh. Try the Adrian tower or the Monroe simulcast.

I believe he is talking about the city of Tecumseh in Canada to the East of Windsor on lake St. Clair

seamusg

Combustion said:
I believe he is talking about the city of Tecumseh in Canada to the East of Windsor on lake St. Clair
Acording to the Town map of the Town of Tecumseh, most of the town area is South of Windsor with a panhandel that extends to the lake East of Windsor, he might want to try tower 210 (Mt. Clemens).

pokey

Tecumseh is right beside Windsor to the east and is still in Essex County. Tecumseh is almost like a small town within Windsor itself. I am not even 1 km from the Detroit River and a 10 minute drive to the tunnel to Detroit. Does this change what tower to program in and is it correct that I can only pick up Police from the Detroit Simulcast tower? That would not be good.

seamusg said:
Acording to the Town map of the Town of Tecumseh, most of the town area is South of Windsor with a panhandel that extends to the lake East of Windsor, he might want to try tower 210 (Mt. Clemens).

seamusg

pokey said:
Tecumseh is right beside Windsor to the east and is still in Essex County. Tecumseh is almost like a small town within Windsor itself. I am not even 1 km from the Detroit River and a 10 minute drive to the tunnel to Detroit. Does this change what tower to program in and is it correct that I can only pick up Police from the Detroit Simulcast tower? That would not be good.
Site 701 was designed to keep it's signal within the City of Detroit. I just tried putting site 701 into my BC796D and reception was very spotty, the scanner keep loosing the control channel. I also tried my PRO96 on Detroit and if I move it aroung and find the right spot I can get Detroit. Neither scanner will get Detroit at all with their stock antennas. I have a 800mhz 'Rubber duckie' on both. I'm 8 miles NE of the closest Detroit Tower and 15 mile NE of Downtown Detroit. You might want to try the Mt. Clemens(210) site to see if you're programing it correctly. I got my map information from the Town of Tecumseh's website. It shows an undevolped area south of Windsor and a developed area east of Windsor. DPD and DFD are blocked for the most part from using the neighbor sites.

pokey

Ok so I guess it's fair to say that I won't be able to pick up DPD or DFD in Windsor. Pretty dumb if you ask me. I wonder why they are blocked from other towers? I re-programmed my 396T as I had it on 800 mhz trunked instead of Motorola APCO 25. This still wouldn't be my original problem though as I went through each channel one by one from Tecumseh and still didn't get a control channel. I programmed in site 209 which is Wayne County, which according to a map is the closest tower. This site isn't listed on radioreference but rather on someone's personal website. Is Wayne County an actual tower and my best bet? I am back to Tecumseh as of tomorrow to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.