Michigan Ops Code Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8NIY

I'm sure there are those that know....can anybody actually enlighten me as to how the last 2 digits of your Ops relates to your DOB?

bigbluemsp

They don't.

The first 3 digits relate to your last name. Like everone with my last name has the first 3 digits of 135

KC8NIY

Heard a Station 20 dispatcher reference it tonight. She was running an ops check for a trooper, and got the digits wrong. Her reply was along the line of "I know the last 2 reference DOB, and reversed them", then read back the ops without the dyslexia. I was too puzzled to listen to the troopers reply, if any, at that point.

I thought I'd play around with the numbers. Everything I came up with using 4 ops codes showed no relevance, so I posted here. I guess I'm not surprised, as getting a DOB out of 2 digits doesn't make much sense.

Thanks for the response!

m297

KC8NIY said:
I'm sure there are those that know....can anybody actually enlighten me as to how the last 2 digits of your Ops relates to your DOB?

last set of (3) is based on your DOB, however the number dont relate directly to the DOB. In other words the DOB will not show up in the last set... Its just the last set is based of the DOB.

first set is last name
second set is first name
third set is middle name
fourth set is DOB

Last edited:

bigbluemsp

I spoke to a local dispatcher and she said that all but the DOB is true. I cant find anything on the net or in my books that shows revelance to DOB in Michigan

seamusg

bigbluemsp said:
They don't.

The first 3 digits relate to your last name. Like everone with my last name has the first 3 digits of 135
The first letter and first three digits are the Soundex of the last name.

RadioRon

A Michigan Ops # starts with the first letter of the last name.

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd set of three numbers are the last, first and middle name respectively. This is figured out by stripping all the vowels, q and y from the name. It is then converted to the number. As an example PAT and PETE would both be stripped down PT. This would then be converted to a numeric.

The last set of three is your month and day of birth. Each of the 366 days possible are assigned a number between 001 and 999. They are not sequential.

SOS has some formula to adjust the numbers for people with the exact same name and month/date of birth.

seamusg

RadioRon said:
A Michigan Ops # starts with the first letter of the last name.

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd set of three numbers are the last, first and middle name respectively. This is figured out by stripping all the vowels, q and y from the name. It is then converted to the number. As an example PAT and PETE would both be stripped down PT. This would then be converted to a numeric.

The last set of three is your month and day of birth. Each of the 366 days possible are assigned a number between 001 and 999. They are not sequential.

SOS has some formula to adjust the numbers for people with the exact same name and month/date of birth.
When I first got into doing genealogy I was told by the people at the Detroit Main Library, that the first part of my drivers lic. no. was the soundex of my last name.
see here:
http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/soundex.html

m297

bigbluemsp said:
I spoke to a local dispatcher and she said that all but the DOB is true. I cant find anything on the net or in my books that shows revelance to DOB in Michigan

Well I disagree, as its clear under the Lansing surname code that the last 3 are DOB, so tell the local dispatcher that they are wrong. Last 3 are the month and the date, has nothing to do with the year.

So if your 1st 3 are 135 then you have a b,f,p,v in your last name as the "1" , and a d,t as the "3" and m,n as your "5".

The first letter of your last name is dropped and u dont use any vowels or w,h,y

m297

bigbluemsp said:

What books would you be references for this info anyway???

seamusg

m297 said:
Well I disagree, as its clear under the Lansing surname code that the last 3 are DOB, so tell the local dispatcher that they are wrong. Last 3 are the month and the date, has nothing to do with the year.

So if your 1st 3 are 135 then you have a b,f,p,v in your last name as the "1" , and a d,t as the "3" and m,n as your "5".

The first letter of your last name is dropped and u dont use any vowels or w,h,y
The rules for the 1st 4 characters are:
The Soundex code for a name consists of a letter followed by three numbers: the letter is the first letter of the name, and the numbers encode the remaining consonants. Similar sounding consonants share the same number so, for example, the labial B, F, P and V are all encoded as 1. Vowels can affect the coding, but are never coded directly unless they appear at the start of the name.
The exact algorithm is as follows:
  1. Retain the first letter of the string
  2. Remove all occurrences of the following letters, unless it is the first letter: a, e, h, i, o, u, w, y
  3. Assign numbers to the remaining letters (after the first) as follows:
    • b, f, p, v = 1
    • c, g, j, k, q, s, x, z = 2
    • d, t = 3
    • l = 4
    • m, n = 5
    • r = 6
  4. If two or more letters with the same number were adjacent in the original name (before step 1), or adjacent except for any intervening h and w (American census only), then omit all but the first.
  5. Return the first four bytes padded with 0.
The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) maintains the rule set for the official implementation of Soundex used by the U.S. Government.
Using this algorithm, both "Robert" and "Rupert" return the same string "R163" while "Rubin" yields "R150".

cdenton

I always wondered about this ... I once sold a car to a Chinese-national whose entire name was "Suprapto." His DL # was nine zeros with three numbers ... I thought that was pretty odd at the time.

bigbluemsp

cdenton said:
I always wondered about this ... I once sold a car to a Chinese-national whose entire name was "Suprapto." His DL # was nine zeros with three numbers ... I thought that was pretty odd at the time.

Sounds like a ficticous opps..

seamusg

AEofficer116 said:
Where did you get this ?
Do a search for SOUNDEX. The first link I posted was from that site for SOUNDEX. The site also has source code for the driver lic. code, plus more for information look up coding. My last name has aprox 36 known ways of spelling, and the SOUNDEX system will find about 32 of them (the other four are not in english). Under SOUNDEX on that site the example driver lic system is WI. My daughter who works for a benifits co. told me about this site and it's info a few years ago, they used it to verify some information, they get a lot of people in prison trying to get benifits, another one they use is SSDI (Social Security Death Index, if you died within the last 3 mounths your name and SSN are there). My daughter would use the systems to see if the information a person gave was close to being correct - Just hope all the bad guys don't learn how to use the systems or can use the sorce code given. I use a modified version of soundex, borrowed from anothe site, for my research (modified for Irish and Scottish last names).

Status
Not open for further replies.