Michigan Programming SDS200

I just received a SDS200 and I've been having issues with it missing transmissions. I've tried all kinds of things between changing the squelch, trying different filters, changing the delay/hold times, locking onto MPSCS, turning off a bunch of services types that I didn't want and it still seems to be scanning too much and missing transmissions. I use the zip code feature to pick up the channels. I have set it to 0-5 miles for the range. I'm looking to pick up Law Enforcement, EMS and Fire in Wexford, Missaukee and Osceola counties in Michigan. I've tried setting up a favorites list and it did not work properly. I would greatly appreciate any help regarding this!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Where are you located in Michigan? When using the Zip Code method of scanning you can narrow down the amount of radio traffic by shortening the radius. Try setting it to 2 miles and see if that helps. Considering transmitters have a range radius them selves you'll still pick up traffic around you out to a considerable distance.

Ideally you want to create a Favorites list of what exactly you want to monitor, nothing more. Scan only the Systems and Talk-Groups you want to hear and nothing else. What is the result of your favorites list? That will solve your problem. What software do you have, Sentinel, ProScan, ARC536?

Thanks for the reply! I’m located in Cadillac. I’m using the Sentinel software. The firmware and database is up to date on the scanner. I’m doing something wrong when doing the favorites list and I’m not sure what because the scanner doesn’t scan anything I tried saving. It just scans some frequencies. I currently have the range set on 5, was set on 0 previously. At this point I don’t even know what all it is scanning. This is all new to me.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply! I’m located in Cadillac. I’m using the Sentinel software. The firmware and database is up to date on the scanner. I’m doing something wrong when doing the favorites list and I’m not sure what because the scanner doesn’t scan anything I tried saving. It just scans some frequencies. I currently have the range set on 5, was set on 0 previously. At this point I don’t even know what all it is scanning. This is all new to me.
Are you going to MENU, then Set Scan Selection, then Select Lists to Monitor, then selecting your Favorite?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums:
Did you program a favorites list or more containing what you want to scan? If you entered your zip code previously you'll need to turn off full database scanning so your scanner can focus its efforts only on what has been programmed into FLs
Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor. Set Full Database to "Off"

I know you said you played around with the service types so you'll need to turn on those corresponding to the conventional objects or trunked talkgroups you want to monitor, reference "Tag" column in database for applicable service types. If scanning a trunked radio system, only scan the site closest to you or the site carrying the traffic you're interested in: Site Hold. If you scan more than one site at the same time you'll be bound to miss traffic

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Now when you do a database update, it does NOT UPDATE favorite lists as they are user generated.
If you made your favorite lists BEFORE the database update could explain your dilemma, we made quite a few updates and additions for Wexford in last few years.
I see you mentioned about updating the database. Yes in these zipcode scanners databases are several years old. I can attest to that as Ive seen a few brand new sds100's, a 436, home patrol 2 in last few weeks and the databases were anywhere from 5 - 9(the SDS100) years old!

I would try using the full database for now as I'm sure it would work that way and then you can re-check your favorite list(s).
Probably easiest way to do a favorite list is in sentinel -> Edit, then Add channels on range.
Make sure while scanning, its going through the four unique frequency towers in Wexford, you would see these in the middle-lower part of the display-
Manton
Mesick 1
Wellston
Boon

Osceola - Leroy
Missaukee - Falmouth

General rule of thumb with a rod antenna is you can pickup your county and the surrounding counties, but it all depends on your location and each counties tower location. 850's MHZ... well as you go higher in frequency, the distance they can be picked up drops off.
-------------
Just an FYI, I cant help mentioning, unless you plan on traveling a lot with it in the lower 1/2 of the lower peninsula, where all the simulcast- multiple tower, same frequency counties are or other states, hate to say it, you way over bought$.
The selling point of the SDS scanners is to work in simulcast counties that Wexford, Osceola and Missaukee are not, as mentioned above they are unique frequencies for each tower.
A lesser priced 436HP zipcode scanner, WS1040 or a 325P2 - both user programmed would work.
Ya live and learn :)

Last edited:
Are you going to MENU, then Set Scan Selection, then Select Lists to Monitor, then selecting your Favorite?
I do believe that's what I did. I've only tried it once and it didn't work so I haven't tried it a second time, yet.

Welcome to the RR forums:
Did you program a favorites list or more containing what you want to scan? If you entered your zip code previously you'll need to turn off full database scanning so your scanner can focus its efforts only on what has been programmed into FLs
Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor. Set Full Database to "Off"

I know you said you played around with the service types so you'll need to turn on those corresponding to the conventional objects or trunked talkgroups you want to monitor, reference "Tag" column in database for applicable service types. If scanning a trunked radio system, only scan the site closest to you or the site carrying the traffic you're interested in: Site Hold. If you scan more than one site at the same time you'll be bound to miss traffic

I tried to program a favorites list using the Sentinel software, I just think I did something wrong along the way. Just adding things to the list was setting up weird. I went to USA, then Michigan and then Wexford County - County systems I believe it was called and it didn't have any of what I wanted in there. Then when I added statewide I believe it was, I put in Wexford County and then it added a bunch of counties throughout Michigan when I opened the favorites. I removed all of them except Wexford and it apparently wasn't done right. Like I did Wexford Law Enforcement separately and then did Wexford EMS & Fire together. If someone believes they could help guide me through how to do it properly, I would greatly appreciate it! From my understanding Law enforcement, EMS and Fire are all using P25 Phase II, all digital in my area and that's all I really care to listen to.

Now when you do a database update, it does NOT UPDATE favorite lists as they are user generated.
If you made your favorite lists BEFORE the database update could explain your dilemma, we made quite a few updates and additions for Wexford in last few years.
I see you mentioned about updating the database. Yes in these zipcode scanners databases are several years old. I can attest to that as Ive seen a few brand new sds100's, a 436, home patrol 2 in last few weeks and the databases were anywhere from 5 - 9(the SDS100) years old!

I would try using the full database for now as I'm sure it would work that way and then you can re-check your favorite list(s).
Probably easiest way to do a favorite list is in sentinel -> Edit, then Add channels on range.
Make sure while scanning, its going through the four unique frequency towers in Wexford, you would see these in the middle-lower part of the display-
Manton
Mesick 1
Wellston
Boon

Osceola - Leroy
Missaukee - Falmouth

General rule of thumb with a rod antenna is you can pickup your county and the surrounding counties, but it all depends on your location and each counties tower location. 850's MHZ... well as you go higher in frequency, the distance they can be picked up drops off.
-------------
Just an FYI, I cant help mentioning, unless you plan on traveling a lot with it in the lower 1/2 of the lower peninsula, where all the simulcast- multiple tower, same frequency counties are or other states, hate to say it, you way over bought$.
The selling point of the SDS scanners is to work in simulcast counties that Wexford, Osceola and Missaukee are not, as mentioned above they are unique frequencies for each tower.
A lesser priced 436HP zipcode scanner, WS1040 or a 325P2 - both user programmed would work.
Ya live and learn :)
Yeah the zip code option is what I've been using since I struggled with the favorites list and got rid of it. The database was set on 2018 but was updated to 4/9/23 I believe. Right now I've got it set on full database using the zip code with the range set at 5 miles and I have a hold on Michigan's Public Safety Communications System, it's giving me Wexford, Missaukee and Osceola but it seems the scanning is too slow and it's missing several transmissions. A lot of times I will hear "Clear" and miss entirely what was said right before that and other times it will catch a transmission towards the end, and sometimes even miss it entirely. You will see it pop on the screen, but then go off.

I know a single scanner isn't going to catch everything but I feel like for my area and what I want to monitor, it shouldn't be missing as much as it is. Maybe it's because it's scanning way more than what I realize, I really don't know. I just figured by keeping it on MPSCS with the range set low would be good enough, but that's not the case. I've also noticed where the bars on the top right are always changing from a few bars to nothing constantly. Not sure if that's normal or not. As for what I purchased, I was fully aware I was essentially overdoing it. I've done quite a bit of research on the scanners. I just thought it would be good to future proof in case anything changes around my area and I love the display on the scanner. I'm also still within my 30 days if I'm not happy with it so I could send it back today if I wanted to. I'm trying to make it work. I stayed away from the handheld, didn't care to mess with batteries all the time, especially the 436hp. It's nice to have a scanner that I can plug in and not have to worry about it. I know the SDS100 can be plugged in while being used but I've read too many things about the latch on the bottom breaking, the battery swelling up over time, cold solder joint issues to name a few. The other scanners I may consider are the 536hp and the BCD996P2 but I know the programming is different on that one.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Is it going through all the towers in the state, ones well beyond your reception range? If it is, it takes a long time before it comes back to your area towers.
One thing I do is in sentinel, is to rightclick and avoid the three site on wheels.

In the radio under favorites, you can use the - Add current dB channels to the new favorite list. So it will create a database using your local area.

536hp will program the same way in sentinel and the 996P2 I use freescan software. 996p2 you would program it. I have that model and works great, I end up putting ~3/4 of the state in it, including your area, even though it stays here. I just use the setup for the portable.

Last edited:
Is it going through all the towers in the state, ones well beyond your reception range? If it is, it takes a long time before it comes back to your area towers.
One thing I do is in sentinel, is to rightclick and avoid the three site on wheels.

In the radio under favorites, you can use the - Add current dB channels to the new favorite list. So it will create a database using your local area.

536hp will program the same way in sentinel and the 996P2 I use freescan software. 996p2 you would program it. I have that model and works great, I end up putting ~3/4 of the state in it, including your area, even though it stays here. I just use the setup for the portable.
I just shipped the SDS200 back. I just could not get it working to my satisfaction for what the cost of it was. As for what all it was scanning, I don't even know. I had things coming on from Ferris State University and the University of Michigan. A guy who lives in the same area I do has the 996p2 scanner and he really likes it. Do you prefer one over the other between the 536hp and 996p2? I guess if you are putting that many people in the state on it, the answer is 996p2.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
As said above, 536 will program like the sds w/sentinel, 996P2 has to be user programmed, so if your ever down this way I can get ya setup fast. :)
In the upper right on this page, to the right of your name you should see an alert to a private message I sent you.

I hope that guy puts in talkgroups and not just frequencies, since that's a VERY POOR way to do it.
I have seen many dozens of people do it that way since that's what they are used to doing with older scanners and even just put in some very random frequencies and wonder why they dont get anything or get so many agencies outside their city-county that way.

In trunked systems frequencies are shared. One time a frequency is used by fire, next time its PD, next EMS, etc. So lets say you hear a call for another county, you decide to lock out that frequency since it doesn't pertain to your area, next time its used it will be a local call, then you missed that call since its locked out.
Its not like it was before when a frequency is dedicated for an agency.
They use talkgroups, so when they change to another channel they are not changing frequencies, but changing a code number associated with the agency they are talking to called a talkgroup.
I just shipped the SDS200 back. I just could not get it working to my satisfaction for what the cost of it was. As for what all it was scanning, I don't even know. I had things coming on from Ferris State University and the University of Michigan. A guy who lives in the same area I do has the 996p2 scanner and he really likes it. Do you prefer one over the other between the 536hp and 996p2? I guess if you are putting that many people in the state on it, the answer is 996p2.

hruskacha

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry to hear that you had to send it back! I too was so frustrated with my SDS100 because i could not narrow down my scanning selection to exactly how i wanted it. I ended up reading the manual 7 times and also referring to the "easier to read online manual" on another site and i finally understand how the quick keys all worked and how the scanner actually scanned through them. I now have it programmed to where i can add departments and agencies at the click of a button and hear them when i need them, and quickly dismiss when i dont.

Creating an optimal favorites list also made the scanner boot up / load much faster!! Loading the entire DB and using ZIP was super long and annoying, especially when powering up the scanner after a fire dept tone out or something.