Michigan Public Safety Communications (MPSCS) System

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Where did the "primary" (RED) control channels go to? All I see is the "secondary" listing control channels (Blue)! Coming up to Grand Rapids and Mackinaw next week

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
According to the legend:

Blue* control channels

Anything in Blue (with a 'c' on the end) is a control channel.

mikey60

Personally, I don't like this change.

On the MPSCS the control channels rarely change to the alternates. While it's possible that the alternates may be used, 99.9% of the time, the primary control channels are used.

One thing to keep in mind on the MPSCS, on most sites, the primary control channel is the highest frequency on the site. There are exceptions (Howell for one), but in general it's the highest.

Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
How will this impact software that imports from RR's database, that gives you the option to choose cc or cc & acc?

mikey60

How will this impact software that imports from RR's database, that gives you the option to choose cc or cc & acc?

At the moment, it doesn't change anything from what I can see in PSREdit500. The DB still has the Primary and Alternate flags. It's just the display in the Database area of the site that doesn't distinguish them at this point.

Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
At the moment, it doesn't change anything from what I can see in PSREdit500. The DB still has the Primary and Alternate flags. It's just the display in the Database area of the site that doesn't distinguish them at this point.

Mike

Was this change discussed, or announced? If they're still maintaining flags, then it really doesn't save any work. What was the reasoning?

mkoronka

I live in Gaylord and pull all of my local signals from the Gaylord, Waters and Vanderbilt towers. A while back they added a second alternate control channel to the Gaylord and Waters sites. These two sites have a primary and two alternate out of five frequencies. They left Vanderbilt alone with just one alternate. I have never heard one word on any alternate control channel and was wondering why the "double backup"? Any ideas???
Personally I would like to see them go back the red and blue as it was prior to this change.

mikey60

I live in Gaylord and pull all of my local signals from the Gaylord, Waters and Vanderbilt towers. A while back they added a second alternate control channel to the Gaylord and Waters sites. These two sites have a primary and two alternate out of five frequencies. They left Vanderbilt alone with just one alternate. I have never heard one word on any alternate control channel and was wondering why the "double backup"? Any ideas???
Personally I would like to see them go back the red and blue as it was prior to this change.

From what I have heard, the control channel and the alternates are set up so that each one uses a different antenna on the tower. The concept there is that if the primary control channel goes down, the possibility is that there is a problem with the antenna, the feed line to that antenna, or the combiner that connects any repeaters that share an antenna. When they switch the site to an alternate control channel, all connections are completely separate from the ones used by the primary control channel, so they have a good chance to be in working order.

The number of antennas a tower has, and the number of alternate control channels seems to be dependant on how many frequencies are in use on the site.

Mike

mkoronka

Thanks Mike ..... It makes good sence to me having primary and alternate cc's seperate from one another, I never looked it from that point of view.

Thanks again

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.