Michigan Skywarn Info

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to update all my lists & radio files with the most recent skywarn frequencies for metro Detroit, specifically the DTX office's 17 county CWA. I believe a lot of the 2m/70cm freqs are correct for SOME of the counties, but I'm finding different info between RR and other sources. I've searched for dedicated skywarn pages by county, and not every county has one, so I'm looking for any info that is confirmed. Ultimately I want to make one complete list for the entire area, and submit any corrections that need to be made. Another area I'm having trouble with are the current repeaters being used for MICON comms. I've taken info from the RR database, the RepeaterBook app (very handy for traveling) and a list I found online from the MICON -DTX Procedure Manual. There is a lot of discrepancies between the two. I've been a ham & a weather geek for 40 yrs, though not too radio active as of late. I do monitor skywarn nets during weather events. I'm just looking for a current info on how these repeaters are utilized during an event, and is it necessary to monitor them separately depending on where I'm at, or are they linked? This is what's listed in the manual, utilizing the CMEN Network, with a revision date of Oct 2018:

I know it's a huge request, so I would be very thankful for any data you guys can provide. Thanks so much !
-Phil

Attachments

• CMEN.png
    CMEN.png
    308.5 KB · Views: 40

n8zcc

Premium Subscriber
Good luck. I moved to SE Michigan back in 1998 and I'm still trying to understand what, if any, Skywarn systems are in operation during severe weather. Sometimes a repeater is active and other times it isn't. There doesn't seem to be consistency.

Did you try searching through MARC for repeaters listed for weather? I know, most are but don't.

smartboy06

Premium Subscriber
Genesee - 147.26 PL100.0
Livingston - 146.68 PL 162.2
Macomb - 147.2 PL 100.0
Monroe - 146.72 PL 100.0
Oakland - 146.9 PL 100.0
Oakland also has a DMR Repeater (info at arpsc.com), but I'm too far away to have any first-hand knowledge of how that is used.
Washtenaw - 145.15 PL 100.0
Wayne - 145.33 PL 100.0
CMEN UHF - as you have above, but I've not heard them in use much.
CMEN Mi5 DMR Network - Net with the NWS is usually done on Mi5-EVENT1. Details on their website - mi5.cc Closest site to you in New Baltimore would be the Mt. Clemens one.
MPSCS has some CMEN and AUXCOMM talkgroups, moreso for outstate. Washtenaw County also broadcasts weather alerts on 81COM (TG 2164)

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks smartboy06 ! One more question if anyone knows. I'm programming a SDS100, using a DMR One Frequency system. Am I able add another repeater, say Detroit, in the same system, as a separate 1 frequency site, since the TG's are all the same, or will I need to add each repeater as a separate system ? I have some experience with simple DMR programming, but I'm still not 100%.

Thanks again,
Phil

WQWD609

Premium Subscriber
For micon operations you can add in all of the Central Mi Emergency Network uhf repeaters. They link the DMR system on event 1 at times. Mt. Clem would be your closest. Keeep in mind this is a net that can only be used by key stations from each county.

St. clair county at this time uses either the belle river (k8scc) repeater fro southern storms in the county or the avoca (k8dd) for nothern storms. When skywarn is activated in St. Clair we have one station starts a skywarn net on one of the local repeaters and another station checks into the micon net to funnel reports directly to NWS.

WQWD609

Premium Subscriber
Here is a ref. map I made a few years back. CMEN Event 1 seems to be Micon During Watches, Nets on county repeaters.
Hope it helps
Not sure if you can edit that map or not but see my post above about St. Clair County SKYWARN operations. The .800 repeater is currently down and was never used for SKYWARN unless it was linked to the other county repeaters.

Here is the updated version. A printable legal size and one that fits on a tablet screen for more portable use.

Attachments

• MICON 2024 Print.jpg
    MICON 2024 Print.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 86
  • MICON 2024 Tablet.jpg
    MICON 2024 Tablet.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 72

netfire

If I’m not mistaken St Clair County uses 147.320 for Skywarn nets. Macomb County does not use 147.200 anymore. Very disappointed in Macomb County…Haven’t heard anything lately, correct me if I’m wrong! Haven’t heard MICON nets in a while either during severe thunderstorm warnings.

If I’m not mistaken St Clair County uses 147.320 for Skywarn nets. Macomb County does not use 147.200 anymore. Very disappointed in Macomb County…Haven’t heard anything lately, correct me if I’m wrong! Haven’t heard MICON nets in a while either during severe thunderstorm warnings.
MICON uses CMEN Mi5 DMR Network - EVENT 1 for Skywarn nets.

WQWD609

Premium Subscriber
St. Clair uses either 147.300 or 147.320. All depends on if its a northern or southern county storm. In some instances we will use both and hop between the two (like I had to do last week). Macomb still uses 147.200 for SKYWARN last I heard. I'm assuming that they (like myself) have an issue with finding people available during the day to run SKYWARN nets. That's probably why you haven't heard one lately.

MICON uses the uhf analog system and it is sometimes patched to the DMR system. MICON nets I'm sure have the same issue as everyone else. Availability...

KE8BYC

Here is the updated version. A printable legal size and one that fits on a tablet screen for more portable use.
Sorry just saw this online...good start, however, Branch County is 147.300 pl 100, Lenawee 145.370 pl 85.4, Washtenaw 145.150 pl 100,