Michigan State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICLRK625

Hello, I am attempting to program my scanner with the new control frequencies, but am unable to find them on Radio Reference. I was able to program Macomb County (where I live) and the Detroit Simulcast, but couldn't find the Michigan State Police. Are they using different frequencies (such as counties or individual cities)? Or am I just missing something?

Thanks in advance.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
MSP

The Michigan State Police are dispatched one of two methods. Either by Central Dispatch or via their own talkgroup.

For Macomb county they will be on District 2 TG's such as

State Police District 2 - Metro Detroit, Tri-County Area Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
2001 7d1 D D2EAC Metro Post 21: Emergency All Call (Emergency Broadcasts) Emergency Ops
2007 7d7 D REGD2N Metro Post 21: North Dispatch Law Dispatch
2008 7d8 D REGD2S Metro Post 21: South Dispatch Law Talk
2009 7d9 D REGD2E Metro Post 21: Spare Law Talk
2010 7da D REGD2W Metro Post 21: Spare Law Talk
2011 7db D REGD2LEIN Metro Post 21: LEIN Law Talk
2012 7dc D D2SPARE Metro Post 21: Spare Law Talk
2161 871 D D2POSTS Metro Post 21: Districtwide Law Talk
12708 31a4 D D2MOTOR Metro Post 21: Motorcycles Law Talk
2016 7e0 D D2MCDN Motor Carrier Enforcement: North Law Talk
2017 7e1 D D2MCDS Motor Carrier Enforcement: South Law Talk
2175 87f D D2K9 Metro Post 21: K9 Ops Law Talk

If you have the control channels programmed in you will also need the talk groups of the agencies you want to listen to. I assume you have a digital trunk tracking scanner?

Hello, I am attempting to program my scanner with the new control frequencies, but am unable to find them on Radio Reference. I was able to program Macomb County (where I live) and the Detroit Simulcast, but couldn't find the Michigan State Police. Are they using different frequencies (such as counties or individual cities)? Or am I just missing something?

Thanks in advance.

ICLRK625

I already have the Talk Groups programmed in, as the State Police worked for me up until a day or two ago. I learned that many of the frequencies were changed from some cities, and quickly fixed them which solved the issue. However, I have not been able to locate new frequencies for the Michigan State Police, and was wondering if they have actually changed or if I just screwed something else up.

SCPD

QRT
I like it

I like it when someone wants to know what freqs to listen to, and they get the frequencies.
Not just a parrot "look in the database, look in the database" response.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
I already have the Talk Groups programmed in, as the State Police worked for me up until a day or two ago. I learned that many of the frequencies were changed from some cities, and quickly fixed them which solved the issue. However, I have not been able to locate new frequencies for the Michigan State Police, and was wondering if they have actually changed or if I just screwed something else up.

MSP is on the various systems such as the Macomb County Simulcast and Detroit Simulcast. The Macomb County system just changed frequencies within the last 2 days. If you have that system programed with the new frequencies, then you should be getting MSP as long as the talkgroup ID's (posted in one of the posts above) are programed on the Macomb sim.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

The radio system has more than just MSP, and MSP uses more than one system. (The Royal Oak car uses the Oakland County system.)

The bulk of MSP communications in SE Michigan are on MPSCS. If you program the control channels, and alternate control channels, for the towers near you, then you should hear them talking. (I am listening to them as I type.)

Keep in mind that rebanding is going on. That means many of the control channels are changing. This is a day-by-day process.

Sent from Tapatalk

fnnm1062

longtime member
Exactly krokus, there are so many resources available (wiki, previous forum posts, database, etc) that people fail to look before asking.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Exactly krokus, there are so many resources available (wiki, previous forum posts, database, etc) that people fail to look before asking.

With as true as that is.... there are also a lot of people who even if they did find the info, they would not know how to interpret & apply it. To understand and properly program a trunk system is complicated for someone who has never done it before, especially if it is someone who has been able to enter 154.740 all their life and been able to listen to their local pd without any problems. Add to that the fact that properly entering a trunk system the way you want it with custom alpha tags is next to impossible without programing software... a lot of the older people who are not good with computers just don't bother. Why do you think Uniden came out with the Home Patrol line of scanners? The people I just described are the target audience for this line. Personally I am good with programming and customizing, and I only want certain things, so I would never touch a Home Patrol.

Personally I absolutely hate when I see people tell someone to "go check the database" as a response to a "what is the freq for ......"? The ONLY exception for that would be is if the city they are asking about is still in a conventional frequency, which are far and few between anymore in SE Mich. This is a forum for asking questions and helping people. A more kind response would be to offer said freq, if its conventional, along with the URL (county database page) on where you found that info. That way not only have you caught the fish for someone, but you have also shown them how to catch more... since we are using these metaphors. If its someone asking for a frequency for MSP, then they might not be familiar with trunking and telling them to go look at the database will likely not help them much.

Okay I will get off my soap box now.

Last edited:

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
MSP

I don't see where anyone in this thread told the poster to go look in the database? I posted the talk groups since I assumed he had a trunk tracking scanner because he had entered Macomb county. So I'm a bit confused how the thread took on a new life.

Les

With as true as that is.... there are also a lot of people who even if they did find the info, they would not know how to interpret & apply it. To understand and properly program a trunk system is complicated for someone who has never done it before, especially if it is someone who has been able to enter 154.740 all their life and been able to listen to their local pd without any problems. Add to that the fact that properly entering a trunk system the way you want it with custom alpha tags is next to impossible without programing software... a lot of the older people who are not good with computers just don't bother. Why do you think Uniden came out with the Home Patrol line of scanners? The people I just described are the target audience for this line. Personally I am good with programming and customizing, and I only want certain things, so I would never touch a Home Patrol.

Personally I absolutely hate when I see people tell someone to "go check the database" as a response to a "what is the freq for ......"? The ONLY exception for that would be is if the city they are asking about is still in a conventional frequency, which are far and few between anymore in SE Mich. This is a forum for asking questions and helping people. A more kind response would be to offer said freq, if its conventional, along with the URL (county database page) on where you found that info. That way not only have you caught the fish for someone, but you have also shown them how to catch more... since we are using these metaphors. If its someone asking for a frequency for MSP, then they might not be familiar with trunking and telling them to go look at the database will likely not help them much.

Okay I will get off my soap box now.

Status
Not open for further replies.