MicroP25RX

btt

Banned
Banned
Firmware 11-23-01 is available.

2022-11-23-01
  • Fix issue with "allow unknown talk groups". Disable TG that have alpha tag of UNKNOWN when "allow unknown TG" is disabled.
  • In SIGNALS mode, top-left button enables/disables scanning (if roaming mode enabled), top-middle button save gain config, top-right button changes demod mode.
2022-11-22-05
  • Fix gain control, save configuration
  • Add SD Card Formatter to the SD menu

dustinsterk

This article says you may need to use the 'cp' command to copy the file via the command-line to get around the error.

For anyone else that has this issue, this is the command that works from the terminal (latest firmware from today):

cp -X CURRENT-2022112301.UF2 /Volumes/Arduino/

Once it copies, it will eject the device and it is ready to go. :)

Reactions: btt

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Mine made it to Greenville today, Yay, only another week to get to the Easley PO and get lost for a week or so.

brndnstffrd

Normally I have no problems with things like this, but I'm really struggling getting this up and running.
I'm able to go in and get to add a system and punch in a control channel, then it starts receiving it, but trying to my data import is just not working for me. I don't have any DSD files, but I do have my existing files from my P25RX, although even when I try, it says import completed, I'm not getting any of the info from them to come up. This goes for both talkgroups and aliases.

Also, I have tried adding control channels for 2 systems in, and I'm not able to step between the 2 systems in monitor mode or config, the only way is to go to Add a system and start over.

I feel like its probably something I've missed on my end, and is not intended to detract from the product, since going purely from what is shown on the display, the decode is actually better than my original P25RX.

btt

Banned
Banned
Normally I have no problems with things like this, but I'm really struggling getting this up and running.
I'm able to go in and get to add a system and punch in a control channel, then it starts receiving it, but trying to my data import is just not working for me. I don't have any DSD files, but I do have my existing files from my P25RX, although even when I try, it says import completed, I'm not getting any of the info from them to come up. This goes for both talkgroups and aliases.

Also, I have tried adding control channels for 2 systems in, and I'm not able to step between the 2 systems in monitor mode or config, the only way is to go to Add a system and start over.

I feel like its probably something I've missed on my end, and is not intended to detract from the product, since going purely from what is shown on the display, the decode is actually better than my original P25RX.
It sounds like it didn't save the system information to flash for the site / sites before it disabled the LEARN MODE. You can enable the learn mode with the top-left button when in CONFIG mode. After entering a new frequency, the learn mode is enabled for a period of time. While in learn mode, system, site, frequency plan information is written to flash. It does keep track of hashes for this information so that it doesn't keep writing the information to flash continuously. It won't be able to import talk groups, alias information if the system/site information hasn't already been written to flash. This needs to be clarified better in the user manual. Another thing that needs to be added to the user manual is how to save the global configuration. You can save the global configuration information (including preferred startup frequency) by pressing and holding the top middle button for > 3 seconds when in monitor mode.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Ok so it's doing something which is great, I just need a better understanding of what file to edit to add the talk groups that I want.

Attachments

• 16693124396364539525514181946928.jpg
    16693124396364539525514181946928.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 47

goldmyne99

Nice signal. In your picture the WACN and SYSID are zeros.
If they did not fill in, try Learn mode.

You can enable the learn mode with the top-left button when in CONFIG mode. After entering a new frequency, the learn mode is enabled for a period of time. While in learn mode, system, site, frequency plan information is written to flash.

In Config mode, press the left button to enable LEARN mode. You should see the screen collect info from the CC. You can disable Learn mode by pressing the left button again after about a minute or two.

You should be able import the TG and Site files after the system/site info is written to flash by the learn function. @btt will be able to help further with the file import question.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
I did do that, however I get the same issue. Also I noticed it gets pretty warm I'm not sure what's considered normal. I did add a heatsink.
On the system in this pic it does decode really well even tho the signal is weak. The other system I hear no audio at all.

Attachments

• 16693163982478467938037612003013.jpg
    16693163982478467938037612003013.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 16693164304448536322923119402526.jpg
    16693164304448536322923119402526.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 38

btt

Banned
Banned
goldmyne99 is correct, it needs to be in LEARN mode long enough to write system/site information to the flash. Then you can import DSD talk groups. After that, you can make a backup, CONFIG->SD CARD->BACKUP. The text file that is created on the SD card. 'microp25rx_backup.ini'. This file contains 100% of the configuration including freq plan, site info, neighbors, alternates, talk groups, aliases, and more. After you edit this file, you can restore it.

As a subscriber, you can download the DSD formatted TG files by heading to RR-> DATABASE->FREQUENCY_DATABASE->BROWSE->CLICK_ON_YOUR_STATE->CLICK_ON_YOUR_COUNTY->TRUNKED_SYSTEMS->SYSTEM_NAME->MENU_IN_UPPER_RIGHT_HAND_CORNER->DOWNLOADS. Then download the DSD Formatted Talkgroup data file.

After you download the file, copy it to the SD card. It must have the filename extension lower case of .csv, .dsd, or .groups

Then from the CONFIG mode, select SD CARD->Import Talk Groups. It will automatically locate all talk groups files on the card associated with systems currently known to the receiver.

btt

Banned
Banned
I did do that, however I get the same issue. Also I noticed it gets pretty warm I'm not sure what's considered normal. I did add a heatsink.
On the system in this pic it does decode really well even tho the signal is weak. The other system I hear no audio at all.
Yes, it does run warm. That is normal. When you say you get the same issue, I'm not sure what you mean. It appears to have the WACN and SYSID in your latest image.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry what I mean is it was in learn mode, I think I did that 3 or 4 times but it doesn't populate. BTW I am running the Alternate firmware, the audio on the NJICS system seems to sound better on this firmware. The other site I was trying to receive I get no audio at all and the WACN and SYSID do not populate.

The addition of the heatsink just seemed appropriate given the temps 118F+at times also it fits with room to spare in the case.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I’m not giving up yet, but mine is still struggling.

On an 800 only site FDMA sounds good, that same site with TDMA sounds “different”. Not a big deal.

On a 7/800 site neither FDMA or TDMA sound good on the 700 freqs, 800 appears to sound good.

The 700’s will go from sounding ok to garbage mid-call so I can’t attribute this to any cellular as they always transmit. It “appears” to be the lower 700’s that do it worse.

Band 14 in my area is in the -60’s and Verizon in the -50. So strong, but not smoking.

Gain’s aren’t really making a huge difference. Todd has offered a refund, but I’d really like to get this thing working.

Any suggestions???

btt

Banned
Banned
I'm sorry what I mean is it was in learn mode, I think I did that 3 or 4 times but it doesn't populate. BTW I am running the Alternate firmware, the audio on the NJICS system seems to sound better on this firmware. The other site I was trying to receive I get no audio at all and the WACN and SYSID do not populate.
It might help to put it in LEARN MODE, then save the global config (press the top-middle button for > 3 seconds). You should save Config Saved message briefly. This will cause it to come up with learn mode enabled on power up. After this, try cycling power. Does it learn the system info then?

btt

Banned
Banned
I’m not giving up yet, but mine is still struggling.

On an 800 only site FDMA sounds good, that same site with TDMA sounds “different”. Not a big deal.

On a 7/800 site neither FDMA or TDMA sound good on the 700 freqs, 800 appears to sound good.

The 700’s will go from sounding ok to garbage mid-call so I can’t attribute this to any cellular as they always transmit. It “appears” to be the lower 700’s that do it worse.

Band 14 in my area is in the -60’s and Verizon in the -50. So strong, but not smoking.

Gain’s aren’t really making a huge difference. Todd has offered a refund, but I’d really like to get this thing working.

Any suggestions???

I will say that with your -100 dBm signal, -50 dBm signals > 1-2 MHz offset shouldn't be an issue. I will get things setup here to do the ACRR measurements again.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Todd16693177424778195582093987581230.jpg that seemed to work. Only question I have is why does show demod fm on P2 system? It was originally showing demod lsm which I would have expected to see.

btt

Banned
Banned
Todd that seemed to work. Only question I have is why does show demod fm on P2 system? It was originally showing demod lsm which I would have expected to see.
With the latest firmware, you can change the demod mode by pressing the top-right button while in SIGNALs mode. Press in on the joystick to select the mode. From the signals display, you can also see if the signal is FM or LSM visually. (star-shape vs circle).

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't seem to matter, it's decoding the audio either way. I just thought it was odd. The audio btw sounds a lot better than SDRTRUNK, I just have to get this learning curve out of the way.