Icom: Microphone Jack Issue IC705

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
So have had my 705 for a month, and I am super happy with it. Excellent receiver, good audio. Haven't made an HF contact yet but I've certainly give it my best shot. Today I was set up on 20M, and my mic refused to transmit. I removed the pic and put it back in, and it still refused to transmit. Buttons worked fine, and the mic had audio since it is a speaker mic, not no transmit. Jiggled the mic jack and the radio transmitted briefly and then refused to transmit. Sounds like a mic jack problem. Anyone else experience this? I will be calling Icom Monday to tell them the radio is coming back (I do not relish the cost of sending it back). Other than that this is a damned fine radio for the price. On a side note, good thing I held onto my FT817 LOL

fasteddy64

Ok, start from the basics, would it key up all, or just no audio? Are you sure you were in the correct mode, SSB or FM?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Oh yes. SSB, 20 meters, will not key the radio at all. The speaker portion is fine, as well as the control buttons. It was doing fine on VHF and HF until today. Did nothing different. In fact just took the radio out of the backpack and checked it again. It keyed up, then stopped. Again, moving the microphone plug made the radio transmit brief but still nothing from the PTT. I honestly think it's the microphone jack on the radio.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It's the same mic jack for HF, VHF, and UHF, so if the radio transmits on VHF/UHF, it should transmit on HF.

What frequency were you trying to transmit on? What mode were you in? When you keyed the speaker/mic, was there any indication on the display that something was happening?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
It's the same mic jack for HF, VHF, and UHF, so if the radio transmits on VHF/UHF, it should transmit on HF.

What frequency were you trying to transmit on? What mode were you in? When you keyed the speaker/mic, was there any indication on the display that something was happening?
Borrow a mic from someone local, to make sure the mic is not the problem.

Should have said, also tried it on VHF/UHF with the same results. Believe me< I read the manual on this one, as well as watched KJ4YZI on YouTube. I have a strong feeling it is the radio. It's strange the speaker works, as well as the remote buttons, but will not key up. That tells me there is a problem inside the radio, especially since if the plug is moved there is a brief transmit by the radio without keying the mike

AK9R

Super Moderator
What mode are you in when you try to transmit? The point prcguy was trying to make is that if the radio is in one of the data modes, it may not transmit when you key the PTT on the microphone.

Should want to trouble shoot the microphone, here's the wiring of the MIC connector from the manual:
1623610415926.png

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
What mode are you in when you try to transmit? The point prcguy was trying to make is that if the radio is in one of the data modes, it may not transmit when you key the PTT on the microphone.

Should want to trouble shoot the microphone, here's the wiring of the MIC connector from the manual:
View attachment 104996
The things that bothers me with what's happening is the radio keying itself if the microphone jack is turned a little in the plug. It keys briefly, then returns to the PTT not keying the radio. I honestly don't think it's the mic. I wish I did have someone local to who has a 705, but unfortunately don't. Weirdest thing I ever saw. I love this radio, too.

prcguy

When you say it keys briefly, are you pressing the mic button when that happens or does it key briefly when turning the mic plug and not keying the mic? It would be more likely to have a bad mic cable than a bad mic jack but anything is possible.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
When you say it keys briefly, are you pressing the mic button when that happens or does it key briefly when turning the mic plug and not keying the mic? It would be more likely to have a bad mic cable than a bad mic jack but anything is possible.
That's what makes me think something's wrong inside the radio. I'm not even touching the PTT, and turning the jack causes a split second key up of the radio.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Does it transmit using VOX? Is it not keying at all, or just transmitting nothing?

AK9R

Super Moderator
Oh yes. SSB, 20 meters...
Missed this earlier.

Does the Mode Indicator on the display say USB or USB-D or USB-DATA? If you are transmitting voice, you should be in plain USB.

Go into set mode, find the Connectors group, and look for DATA OFF MOD. Does it say MIC, USB? If not, change it so MIC is included in the string.

I'm not even touching the PTT, and turning the jack causes a split second key up of the radio.
Yeah, that does sound like a mic jack problem. Call the dealer you bought the radio from. They will probably tell you to call Icom, but it wouldn't hurt to check with the dealer first.

prcguy

Check above the S meter to see if it says VOX. If it does turn it off. Rotating the mic connector can cause a little noise on the mic line and if VOX is on that will make it transmit briefly. Doesn't explain why it doesn't transmit when pressing the PTT.

Does it transmit using VOX? Is it not keying at all, or just transmitting nothing?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Missed this earlier.

Does the Mode Indicator on the display say USB or USB-D or USB-DATA? If you are transmitting voice, you should be in plain USB.

Go into set mode, find the Connectors group, and look for DATA OFF MOD. Does it say MIC, USB? If not, change it so MIC is included in the string.

Yeah, that does sound like a mic jack problem. Call the dealer you bought the radio from. They will probably tell you to call Icom, but it wouldn't hurt to check with the dealer first.
I called HRO yesterday. Unfortunately I bought it a month ago, 5/11. They said give Icom a call. Appreciate the help and hints. For once, though, I actually studied the manual before even buying it LOL

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I rotated and abused the the mic plug on my 705 and can't get it to key up unless I pull the mic plug out a little. Good chance the mic jack is faulty on N2MWEs radio.
It kills me because I love this radio. Probably the best radio I ever bought. Thanks for the assist!

Status
Not open for further replies.