• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Microsoft admits XP phones home every day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorpmuller

I'd never install this... 1st rule of thumb is to disable automatic updates. I said it before in another thread... the more updates I installed, the more things broke.

Rich

gabyjan2291

oh maybe thats the reason my music playlists got back in the wmp library,well it still needs some work,little things,wouldnt take them long. and dell too

MacombMonitor

I think it's only a matter of time before the software industry aggressively pursues pirates just as the music industry has, and the movie industry is beginning too!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
This is only an issue if you are using a pirated version of Windows, and even then it's not a big deal...

MacombMonitor

rdale

Correct. If you are using pirated Windows, it will still allow you to get security updates and the like. This says it brought legal action against those who SELL pirated Windows. Big difference...

MacombMonitor

rdale said:
Correct. If you are using pirated Windows, it will still allow you to get security updates and the like. This says it brought legal action against those who SELL pirated Windows. Big difference...
Big difference compared to what?

rdale

What I'm saying is that whether you are using a pirated version of Windows or not, the "phoning home" is not a big deal. It's a problem if you are selling pirated Windows, but you're acting illegally so there's no tears for you!

MacombMonitor

rdale said:
What I'm saying is that whether you are using a pirated version of Windows or not, the "phoning home" is not a big deal. It's a problem if you are selling pirated Windows, but you're acting illegally so there's no tears for you!
That appears to be true for now. However, what's to stop Mr. Gates from going after individuals after the hit list has been compiled?

If the RIAA can force the parents of 12~15 year olds to settle out of court for $15,000.00 because their kid downloaded a few songs worth a couple bucks, imagine the consequences of an adult using an illegal copy of Windows, or Office worth several hundreds of dollars!

rdale

Nothing is. Moral of the story - don't use illegal versions of Windows.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
"Really what you're talking about is someone saying, 'Look we've put something on your computer and it might go screwy, so we're going to kind of check in every day,'" he said.

hahahahahahaha...its called an operating system....hahahahahahahahahaha

They already know its screwed up.

Al42

MacombMonitor said:
Software Piracy Costs Industry $34 Billion
Only if everyone running pirated software would have bought a legitimate copy if they couldn't have pirated it. That assumption is ridiculous.

MacombMonitor

Al42 said:
Only if everyone running pirated software would have bought a legitimate copy if they couldn't have pirated it. That assumption is ridiculous.
It wasn't my assumption.

rdale

I'd place pretty good odds that most people running pirated XP would have purchased it if MS locked them out completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.