Microsoft Messup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thayne

If anybody is having computer problems it may be the same thing that happened to me last nite.
One of the updates that Mircosoft just pushed out has a bug, it is KB918899.

Google it for more info.

It caused my laptop to error out in IE and outlook express, (The old popup," sorry xxx progam has encountered a problem and needs to close") yet it didn't bother my other XP machine. If this happens to you you can just uninstall that one update, and you will be OK again.

Supposedly they are going to issue a fix in a few days.

DickH

Thayne said:
If anybody is having computer problems it may be the same thing that happened to me last nite.
One of the updates that Mircosoft just pushed out has a bug, it is KB918899. ...
It caused my laptop to error out in IE and outlook express, .

That's why I never get any updates from MS.
- - - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. - - -

Thayne

You all have valid points, (on your heads) :lol:

Take some pity you guys, maybe I'm a masochist and spineless follower of the masses ;)

K9GTJ

This beauty (KB918899) broke the web filtering software at school. The good news is the filter is still working fine except I cannot open the management console to make changes.

The good news is I am retiring the server tomorrow and I didn't install the patch on the new server.

SLWilson

Office PC

Thayne said:
If anybody is having computer problems it may be the same thing that happened to me last nite. One of the updates that Mircosoft just pushed out has a bug, it is KB918899..... Google it for more info. It caused my laptop to error out in IE and outlook express, (The old popup," sorry xxx progam has encountered a problem and needs to close") yet it didn't bother my other XP machine. If this happens to you you can just uninstall that one update, and you will be OK again. Supposedly they are going to issue a fix in a few days.

Thanks for that info, my office machine started doing that after the automatic update went in Monday or Tuesday afternoon!!!! I'll remove it & wait for the fix!!!!

Steve/Gallia

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The link supplied by jastx above is really only for a special situation and contains no removal instructions. The more generic problem can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923762/en-us

There you are told a hotfix is the solution, but the only way to obtain the hotfix is to call support on your dime and if you really have the problem they will waive the fee. What BS! They could have configured the hotfix with a check of on computer software to see if should be applied or not. Usually I am a MS defender, but not this time, what a FU! Yes it is affecting my Desktop but fortunately not my laptop. :mad:

jastx

loumaag said:
The link supplied by jastx above is really only for a special situation and contains no removal instructions. The more generic problem can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923762/en-us

There you are told a hotfix is the solution, but the only way to obtain the hotfix is to call support on your dime and if you really have the problem they will waive the fee. What BS! They could have configured the hotfix with a check of on computer software to see if should be applied or not. Usually I am a MS defender, but not this time, what a FU! Yes it is affecting my Desktop but fortunately not my laptop. :mad:
M$ changed the content of the link I posted earlier. I guess it was too easy to leave things alone.

Thayne

It's funny how it didn't hurt my desktop running XP pro but the laptop has xp home and it did.
It was easy to delete the upgrade using control panel tho; it seems to be OK now.

I was ready to use a ghosted backup to get it running right again. Lately ghost even can cause problems with some software that logs your hard drive ser.# then calls home whern you use the ghosted drive and assumes you are using a pirated copy---:mad:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well, upon looking again through the MS site, I find that they have reissued the update (KB918899) yesterday (25th) and upon applying the update, my crashing problem went away. Prior to installing the new update, I could reproduce the problem easily, now it is gone.

nycirnwrkr

MS updates

MS updates generally come out at the end or the beginning of the month, as a well learned lesson i never install them until the MIDDLE of the month...so they can work out their bugs on the new "fixes".....just a thought....seems to work for me with no problems after MS get inundated with complaints of the updates not working,they quickly refix the fix

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
gotta love 'em.... M$ stuff has to be broken so they can keep selling all this broken stuff...

(I forgot I was using Firefox:)
Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.