• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Microsoft VISTA Beta Available Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

Want to test MS Vista beta at home? Download the official beta from
Microsoft here, just made available to the public! That's right, you don't have to be a hoyty-toyty MCSE! :wink:

www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production environment or on a main machine in the home. Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of Windows Vista. Before you decide to use Beta 2, you should feel comfortable with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and general PC troubleshooting. Some risks of using beta operating systems include hardware and software incompatibility and system instability. If you have concerns about installing this beta software on your computer, we encourage you to obtain the final release version of Windows Vista when it is available in 2007.

weirdal

the problem is, it's time limited. ( about a year I think). and you don't get to use it after that. you either have to reinstall your old OS or buy vista.

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
JnglMassiv said:
Pleeease...something for nothing? I think a year is pretty generous.
When we are the ones testing their software then it should be free...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
We aren't testers - this is the consumer beta. They won't listen to our reports at all - they have MSDN subscribers who pay a LOT of money for that.

They just give it to us so we get excited about Vista.

And it works ;>

JnglMassiv

Dubbin said:
When we are the ones testing their software then it should be free...
Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of Windows Vista. Before you decide to use Beta 2, you should feel comfortable with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and general PC troubleshooting.

It's a demo and it IS free.

RISC777

Or implement a multi-OS boot setup. But I can't really speak to this since my 233MHz CPU doesn't meet their specified 800MHz 'requirement.' :lol: Though it runs XP Pro just fine. It'll be interesting, though, to hear what anyone else comments on that's running it.

rdale

I can't say I've had any problems with it... The new UAC security is a pain in the butt. Handy if you know nothing about computers, but I disabled it. No crashes, runs all my software just fine, also grabbed Office 2007 Beta and love that too.

MacombMonitor

weirdal said:
the problem is, it's time limited. ( about a year I think). and you don't get to use it after that. you either have to reinstall your old OS or buy vista.
Some people would ***** if you hung them with a new rope! :roll:

Radio1114

I personaly think I would wait to make sure they have all the bugs out of it.It is the same as anything that is beta.It is always the first to try and there are always bugs.Just like windows 98,windows 2000,windows Millemium and XP when they first brought them out there were bugs.This is natural.But I do not want to be the guiney pig.

rdale

Doesn't matter if is has bugs or not, when the "real" Vista comes out your PC will be useless. You'll need to reformat and restart. So you would not be a guinea pig regardless, they don't care what happens to your PC when you install Vista. They just want you to be excited about buying the real thing.

MacombMonitor

I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade to VISTA. XP Pro has been working flawlessly for everything I do. Seems like a lot of eye candy, and other little goodies that can be added to XP anyway.

rdale

Because some of the high-end software coming out over the next few years will require Vista's graphical linkage. For most, it won't matter.

For what it's worth, my PC runs better on Vista Beta than it did with XP.

Radio1114

Well by then there will be an update to be able to get those,Bill Gates won,t let that happen.To much money already invested out there.That is why he brought out Vista as a trial.To see what bugs are in it.Then I am sure if it turns out to be a good version he will put out the real Vista and it will be an upgrade.There are ways to save your files etc. without formatting.I am not disagreeing with any one or really agreeing with anyone.Just my thoughts thats all.

Jeffn8wb

Wilf11 said:
That is why he brought out Vista as a trial.To see what bugs are in it./QUOTE]

Actually, it may be nothing more that to test the market place to see if people are ready to plunk down some money on a new OS instead of using what we already have. If people go nuts and download the public version, then perhaps the market is ripe and full of cash flow.

rdale

Wilf - I don't think you grasp what we are saying. The version you can download now publicly is not a bug trial. That's been done for the last year (or more) with the beta test users (not the public.) This version is simply to "show off the goods" to the masses.

It is possible that you can save your files without formatting, but it's not at all a good idea to ever install a final release over top of a beta.

rdale

Thanks for playing along ;> In the real world - yes. With Microsoft's consumers beta - no.

Status
Not open for further replies.