Microsoft will kill some Windows 7 and 8.1 support in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2AL

Stupidfatkid

It makes sense to me that Microsoft would do this. They have limited resources. They can't justify spending the capital to update Win7 and Win8 to run on the newest architecture when the OSs already have one foot in the grave. This won't bite 99.9% of consumers, it will bite someone who just custom built a high-end system and intentionally put Win7 on it for whatever reason.

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I deleted the posts with quotes of the complete article.

The link is working fine for me.

N2AL

It makes sense to me that Microsoft would do this. They have limited resources. They can't justify spending the capital to update Win7 and Win8 to run on the newest architecture when the OSs already have one foot in the grave. This won't bite 99.9% of consumers, it will bite someone who just custom built a high-end system and intentionally put Win7 on it for whatever reason.
I understand that, but I cannot stand Windows 10, or as I call it -WinDoze...

I use Mac but I run Windows 7 in BootCamp and VMware for all of my Windows only applications. It works well but I will miss the support offered by Windows. Although I hear that there is a company that can provide future updates, similar to what they did for Windows XP. Of course that is only true if they followed through with their intent.

Thanks for sharing the link and this information with me.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
You need to read the entire article. The support changes mentioned apply to specific newer processor architectures. Older Intel and AMD processors will still be supported by Windows 7 and 8.1. This would apply to PCs built in the past year or so,with 6th generation Intel, or 7th generation AMD CPUs, and that have Win7 or 8.1 installed.

My cranky old Dell laptops running with Celeron processors are safe.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to disable Win 7 from trying to 'update'?

If you're referring to stopping it from "upgrading" to Windows 10 automatically, rather than updating Microsoft stopped doing that months ago, and you no longer need to worry about that.

You should be running Windows Updates intended for Windows 7 if you're still using it. You're missing out on important security updates.

slicerwizard

I am still running it. I can't stand WIN 10
Meanwhile, in this household, using Win10 isn't much different than XP. No start page full of colored rectangles, no strange "apps", nada. Just a familiar desktop, high reliability, self updating, good security, and no phoning home with any "telemetry" either. If Win10 had issues, I'd be hearing about it pretty quick from the better half.

captncarp

windows updates

bought a Dell w/10 installed. Tried it for three weeks and sent it back. Not for me. I still have 7 active but I use a Chromebook now. what a pleasure to use.

Rred

Win10 is very much a dog that has not been housebroken. I have seen it take over a "sleeping" machine and forcibly do an update, when updates had been postponed and NOT asked for. And the updates repeatedly broke power options on a laptop, i.e. sleep/wake on lid close/open, disabling the Fn+F4 power functions, and disabling a "special" programmable keyboard button. All without any notice to the user, all without any indication in the online materials.

I've also seen Win10 force the choice of default applications, i.e. using Edge instead of any other browser, using Acrobat's online "lite" version (with all the optional purchases) instead of a prior fully licensed version of Acrobat, etc. In each case, yes, you could puzzle out how to find the menus to choose and set default programs to handle application types--but Win10 simply presented those menus while LOCKING the choice of programs, so they could not be used.

It has some nasty quirks, there are good reasons that a happy Win7 or even Vista user would not want to move to it. The sole benefits to Win10 appear to be in the alleged security improvements. Which are of course not visible to consumers, and then the Edge browser is supposed to have some security issues that third-party browsers quickly addressed, but MS did not. Or could not.

No OS is perfect. MS doesn't even present a feedback mechanism for users to report these kind of bugs, other than the online forums, where alternative facts (thank you, Kelly Ann) are rampant and facts or official presence rarely to be found.

gezafisch

Win10 is very much a dog that has not been housebroken. I have seen it take over a "sleeping" machine and forcibly do an update, when updates had been postponed and NOT asked for. And the updates repeatedly broke power options on a laptop, i.e. sleep/wake on lid close/open, disabling the Fn+F4 power functions, and disabling a "special" programmable keyboard button. All without any notice to the user, all without any indication in the online materials.

I've also seen Win10 force the choice of default applications, i.e. using Edge instead of any other browser, using Acrobat's online "lite" version (with all the optional purchases) instead of a prior fully licensed version of Acrobat, etc. In each case, yes, you could puzzle out how to find the menus to choose and set default programs to handle application types--but Win10 simply presented those menus while LOCKING the choice of programs, so they could not be used.

It has some nasty quirks, there are good reasons that a happy Win7 or even Vista user would not want to move to it. The sole benefits to Win10 appear to be in the alleged security improvements. Which are of course not visible to consumers, and then the Edge browser is supposed to have some security issues that third-party browsers quickly addressed, but MS did not. Or could not.

No OS is perfect. MS doesn't even present a feedback mechanism for users to report these kind of bugs, other than the online forums, where alternative facts (thank you, Kelly Ann) are rampant and facts or official presence rarely to be found.

If you want to provide feedback, join windows insiders. We receive new Windows versions much faster than normal users, and are consulted on new changes in Windows and Microsoft apps.

Win10 runs much faster than 7 on old hardware, as it is less bloated. It provides better functionality in the windows manager, and IMO, is more aesthetically pleasing. It provides devs with more power, and integrates your MS account into everything, making settings sync across devices much easier as well as providing better security.

Staying on old versions of Windows with the attitude of "It just works" is ill-advised, as the older versions will lose support from MS, as well as third party developers.

EDIT: Windows Insiders are also provided with the Feedback app, in which you can report bugs and recommend new features.

gezafisch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.