mics

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

i saw in a further post back that someone said thay had a foot pedal that they push to talk instead of having to pick up a mic etc. Is this true? Is this what dispatch consules use instead of mics generally?

thanks

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The foot pedal is used for the PTT function. A dispatcher can use either a headset, if the capability is provided, or the goose neck mic that is typically connected to the console.

R

Rayjk110

That would be me with the foot pedal. It was salvaged from the town's Centracom Console when they upgraded. A PITA to re-wire, but it works excellent. Right now it goes to one of my spectras.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Foot switches are pretty common, it frees both hands for doing other things; typing, mouse/track ball use, etc. VOX (voice operated transmit) may or may not be available, but generally not used in noisy dispatch type environments. Hams make use of VOX a lot on HF SSB, but not so much on HF AM or VHF/UHF FM.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Lou and all,

Yup, foot switches are used in lots of things, machinery especially and are easily adapted. I once salvaged one from an old sewing machine, had to remove the speed control rheostat of course. Now why don't we use VOX for AM or FM? Do you think continual carrier dropouts could lead to a frustrating QSO? Oh, I can just imagine CBers adapting wa-wa, sustain and swell pedals for those "special effects", they already sound like they're using fuzz. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.