Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank3si

I was walking one of the dogs here in New Castle when what appeared to be two Blackhawks (or perhaps UH-1s?) passed by, with unusual white tops. I got home a couple of minutes later but ADS-B is short on details. Looks like they took off in MD, crossed DE, then turned north and ran right up the Delaware River. The story ended near Burlington NJ. Really unusual markings but not close enough for me to make out specifics - nor was I lugging the 500mm telephoto on the dog walk ;) Wonder what they were? I know 1st Helicopter Squadron has white tops but they didn't originate near Andrews... Just popped up again on ADS-B at 11:09 heading over NJ toward East Brunswick.

08232023 Unknown Copters.jpg

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Slow Mil day but a couple odd C-130 types in area this evening.
FACH-996 C-130H #996 Chile Air Force into KDOV.Long way from home.
Recent pic.. 996 | Lockheed C-130H Hercules | Chile - Air Force | Carlos Martinez Misle | JetPhotos

There is a AC-130J #15-5811 1st SOW Hurlburt Field flying low meandering South assume headed back to Florida departed from Griffiis.
Tip off on AC-130J's are they rarely fly above 11k-13k in altitude.

Last edited:

jsoergel

Premium Subscriber
Am down in the area for a brief getaway, and spent some time today trying to get a feel for how they do things at Oceana. Here's what I found in terms of Approach, Departure and Arrival, thus far. Used a couple TRX-1's with clocks synced.
Not a peep on 288.3, which is supposed to be Button-4 Departure. 266.8 (Button 5) functioning both as departure and approach. Most departure handoffs were to Giantkiller on 361.3 (Button 6) for W-72. A few to Cherry Point Approach on 268.7 (Button 12). 266.8 was also simulcasting instructions to civilian a/c around Currituck, NC. Frequently directing planes to Norfolk Approach on 126.05.

On arrival, 323.05 (Button 7) was used at altitudes from around 4000 down to 1600, and sometimes the landing would be completed on this freq. It looks like most or all planes on this freq were handed off from 266.8. Today was very overcast with a low ceiling, and I heard remarks that the 'overhead was closed.' Planes handed offf to 323.05 did the RNAV approach to Runway 5R. One flight of two split to a 'PAR' (I'm not familiar with the term, but it sounded like they wanted to break formation and land on parallel runways) At the point of 'PAR' the two aircraft were addressed separately for the rest of the approach. Until the weather cleared that evening, all planes were on a straight-in approach, and full-stop. After the weather cleared, they were allowed to make their break and go around.

Lots of GCA today, but no button numbers used. Frequencies always read out. In a few cases, the ground simulcast 323.05 and a GCA frequency--the only one I specifically remember was 346.4. In at least some cases, the plane switched to tower freq once they had the runway in sight. All six GCA freqs in the quote above were used at some time or another today. The main difference I'm seeing between 'Arrival' and 'GCA/SFA' is that 'Arrival' doesn't confine itself to a single aircraft.

Didn't really get much done in terms of confirming air/air freqs, but now I feel much better about how to approach the whole package. 266.8 proved to be the real key frequency for both departures and arrivals. I had to keep radios parked on both 266.8 and 323.05 in order to find that out. Today was almost entirely ROMAN's and RIPPER's with one or two INFERNO's thrown in. Maybe I'll learn a new thing or two tomorrow.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
In addition to the post on the previous page, here’s my document with Oceana/Norfolk tac freqs. The asterisk indicates the year last heard.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
I was walking one of the dogs here in New Castle when what appeared to be two Blackhawks (or perhaps UH-1s?) passed by, with unusual white tops. I got home a couple of minutes later but ADS-B is short on details. Looks like they took off in MD, crossed DE, then turned north and ran right up the Delaware River. The story ended near Burlington NJ. Really unusual markings but not close enough for me to make out specifics - nor was I lugging the 500mm telephoto on the dog walk ;) Wonder what they were? I know 1st Helicopter Squadron has white tops but they didn't originate near Andrews... Just popped up again on ADS-B at 11:09 heading over NJ toward East Brunswick.

View attachment 147260
Frank

Mussel 6 flight of 2 Hueys (UH-1) from audio on LiveATC 1692881488538.png

Terry

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
In addition to the post on the previous page, here’s my document with Oceana/Norfolk tac freqs. The asterisk indicates the year last heard.
I think that I used this-or a recent edition-to program the scanner. Have not found any info to conflict with it, but I definitely need my attenuating earbuds to make sense of what I'm hearing. Callsigns were hard to make out. Pilots were checking in with departure just 1-2 seconds before being over my head! I'll hope for another chance to visit, with my stuff organized a little differently. Great thing about the TRX-1, there are lots of scanlists to spread things over and cherry-pick my listening. On the next trip, on-site visits will have special on-site programming to help me target things better.

Weather was great, and was out there at the viewing lot with a group of people past 9p both nights.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Dtw1

As has been pointed out to me in the past (and my post was deleted because of the subject), a TFR for a former president is not military related and shouldn't be posted here.
I suppose it depends if the TFR is going be “enforced” by “armed air defense fighters” or not. Selfishly, I moved from Maryland where I could see the Camp David CAP refueling to Atlanta where there’s been much less mil air activity and I personally appreciate the heads up to check if there’s a tanker or something showing up on adsb this evening. Shrug.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I suppose it depends if the TFR is going be “enforced” by “armed air defense fighters” or not. Selfishly, I moved from Maryland where I could see the Camp David CAP refueling to Atlanta where there’s been much less mil air activity and I personally appreciate the heads up to check if there’s a tanker or something showing up on adsb this evening. Shrug.
But in this case there is no CAP, it is only a TFR up to 1000' for unmanned drones, as is standard with all TFRs for this former president. These TFRs involve no military aircraft at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.