Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

Mark

Premium Subscriber

It's official: the Daytona 500 has been postponed to Monday, Feb. 19, due to inclement weather, NASCAR announced Sunday morning. The race will now be held at 4 p.m. on Monday, following the NASCAR Xfinity Series race, which was also postponed to Monday.
Yeah two tankers in the box would be setting off ADSB collision alarms in ZDC .

Mark

Premium Subscriber
ATC does not rely solely on ADS-B - I doubt it bothers them....they can see them regardless of ADS-B.

Its probably so no one knows where they are.....like us !!
No I heard some tanker pilots talking about this last year and they mentioned why they turned one off.
Same with Altrav's you notice sometimes only 1 fighter will be on ADSB showing and the others are all off.
Those ATC controllers can get skittish at times with possible alarms going off.
I don't think they care during routine CAP work who sees what.
Like today and yesterday first tanker to CAP shows but subsequent tankers are mode off.

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
No I heard some tanker pilots talking about this last year and they mentioned why they turned one off.
Same with Altrav's you notice sometimes only 1 fighter will be on ADSB showing and the others are all off.
Those ATC controllers can get skittish at times with possible alarms going off.
I don't think they care during routine CAP work who sees what.
Like yesterday first tanker to CAP shows but subsequent tankers are mode off.
Well that's interesting since ATC had collision avoidance before ADS-B.....

some interesting comments in this thread How does ATC use ADS-B? - diamondaviators.net

Note the bottom three comments (especially the middle one) ... seems like to ATC --- ADS-B is more trouble than it is worth

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Well that's interesting since ATC had collision avoidance before ADS-B.....

some interesting comments in this thread How does ATC use ADS-B? - diamondaviators.net

Note the bottom three comments (especially the middle one) ... seems like to ATC --- ADS-B is more trouble than it is worth
We need a tour of busy ZDC or ZNY :) Prob the two busiest Centers in the US.
Maybe ADSB warning alarms in each tanker or fighter is also a problem.

JetWash

We need a tour of busy ZDC or ZNY :) Prob the two busiest Centers in the US.
Maybe ADSB warning alarms in each tanker or fighter is also a problem.
I mentioned a tour of ZDC and/or Potomac TRACON to Alan Henney at the Capitol Hill Monitors meetup at the beginning of February. He said they had scheduled a guest speaker from the FAA back in early-COVID but they cancelled.

Are there any pilots in our viewing audience who have ideas on how to get a tour?