Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I guess everyone uses different color codes. Red to me meant classified information that wasn't encrypted, black was after it was encrypted. the different colors systems were kept separate to keep red info from accidentally being recoverable on black parts of the systems. (ie different rooms with minimal interconnections between them.

Even this definition is different than what I understood as red/black

Red/green was for voice, as the green lit button on the handsets took you into secure mode. Red was lit when no crypto was connected, or was not in encryption mode.

Red/black was for data, showing which side of the crypto you were on.

Edit: This was from my time as a USN technician, when I worked in comms. I presume they have not changed.

Last edited:

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Red/green was for voice, as the green lit button on the handsets took you into secure mode. Red was lit when no crypto was connected, or was not in encryption mode.

Red/black was for data, showing which side of the crypto you were on.

Edit: This was from my time as a USN technician, when I worked in comms. I presume they have not changed.
So like a transmit light on a handi-talkie, if you pushed it and it was green it was encrypted and red meant not encrypted, or something like that (I just remember different colors meant something different (maybe charging vs charging completed, though that isn't relevant to the aircraft in question).

Thanks for the clarification in this case.
Thanks
Joel

krokus

Premium Subscriber
So like a transmit light on a handi-talkie, if you pushed it and it was green it was encrypted and red meant not encrypted, or something like that (I just remember different colors meant something different (maybe charging vs charging completed, though that isn't relevant to the aircraft in question).

Thanks for the clarification in this case.
Thanks
Joel

This type of handset would be connected to a switching system, SA-2112, via a selector box, which allowed the user to choose which voice circuit they were connected to.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Several Travis KC-10's lumbering East from Travis spread out at FL350-370 so assume staging.
Look almost on course for the Mid Atlantic but early yet.
ROMA-71 #84-0191
ROMA-61 #86-0031
ROMA-81 #86-0027 way behind over Utah.
Maybe last large Euro hurrah Altrav for the KC-10's

MAINE91 calling Polo Ops on 379.450 inbound Stewart with 20 of your pax to offload
Req follow me truck.. Looks like inbound from Keesler Air base.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
This type of handset would be connected to a switching system, SA-2112, via a selector box, which allowed the user to choose which voice circuit they were connected to.

Great... I was about to complain about non-standard color codes for this kind of thing.
But.... I just thought about wiring color codes (on a vehicles DC circuit wired red and black, which one is chassis-ground, and now think about household wiring with white and black, which one is neutral-ground?) of course, if were hooking up a trailer to a car, the white wire is chassis ground, and I guess eventually hooks up to the black wire from the chassis of the vehicle?. This is just the U.S. Ugh...

Thanks
Joel

1708636624054.jpeg
Thanks
Joel

Mark

Premium Subscriber
ROMA 71 heading into McGuire, ROMA 61 right behind it.
Think they are dragging the Aviano F-16's, which apparently are going to Andrews.
Heard ROMA-81 into McGuire alpha 1 ,no pax or cargo and req u drives.
Guess they are setting up for maybe weekend Altrav.. They were all flying East at FL-35k+ so doubt they were
dragging anybody course Aviano birds may already be here. See who shows up later this weekend. :)

2105 Had brief coms on 384.850.. new one for me...

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Last edited: