Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
One more bit on that AN-124 - RadarBox has it's next leg being Portsmouth to Leipzig.
That aircraft departed Seoul South Korea on March 4th and flew to Anchorage then on to Cape Canaveral (arriving March 5th in the early morning). Probably heading back to Europe now for another lift for someone.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
It was interesting to read that thread, given all our consciousness about MUX back in the 90's. Some of the nomenclature is cloudy to me now. I do remember the term ORDERWIRE and there was another as well when we were modifying our PRO2004/5/6's and listening out forr AF1. I don't think it was Nightwatch, but it's been a while. I believe that I saw something aboard a P-3 during an airshow in the 90's that resembled this nomenclature...likely after the 747's had been delivered to Andrews.

I had a chance to tour an AF1 aircraft (29000, I think) during the fall of 2016, and noticed that system in the comm center behind the cockpit. I can't remember whether it was labelled 'Orderwire' or with the other name that I would've recognized at the time. I asked the Boeing guy who was with our group about it, and he said a couple of interesting things:

1 - That the system was about 50 years old (and I seem to recall reading that it was hacked during LBJ's presidency)
2 - That it was no longer being used for any sort of official comms--just some phone patches for members of the press
3 - That they planned to remove it from the aircraft around the end of 2016
4 - ...and to be glad that I asked a member of the Boeing team about it--the Air Force folks would not be happy to discuss it

Of course, I can't remember anything much from back in the 90's, except I think one of the MUX freqs was 305.55...maybe Waldorf, MD or Orange County, VA? Didn't see that one mentioned in the 2017 thread. I never caught any MUX back then. I used the equipment (HF SSB receiver w/longwave converter) to explore TV & FM subcarriers in my area, LOL.

Another interesting thing in going thru the 2017 thread was to enter those freqs into my database, and see where some still seem isolated (guard bands around them?) and some seem to have been reallocated. 366.6 is the ONLY thing I have on file at 366 MHz...so there's a potential project just in that.

So my main question would be whether what we're discussing here is that same system, or a similar more modern descendent of it.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
Same system that is supposed to no longer be operational. Perhaps the VIP portion is no longer used but the E6 and E4 aircraft may still connect to what remaining ground stations exist.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
I'd definitely like to know if that system was upgraded and retained--I never hear anything about it anymore in the context of AF1/SAM type activity. At the time I toured, the 747-800's were supposed to be on their way--which is why my connection was retiring. He anticipated an explosion in his workload bringing the new planes into service. Am thinking that two-year upgrade must've been in response to Trump's efforts to reject the new planes. Have always been impressed with that system, in terms of hiding in plain sight. Devilishly clever for the mid 60's.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
SHF upgrade but I doubt the Northstar system was touched. Unless they removed it....maybe just vacuumed the cobwebs from the avionics black boxes.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
MUX

try this thread

I'm not scanning those freqs now, but I will start again as I don't have 368.2 on my list. In that freq range my list goes: 366.6 - 368.25 - 370.1; so I'll add it to my list - thanks for the post. When AF1/2 used those freqs there were phone patch links above and below the center freq using LSB/USB in the clear.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
I'm not scanning those freqs now, but I will start again as I don't have 368.2 on my list. In that freq range my list goes: 366.6 - 368.25 - 370.1; so I'll add it to my list - thanks for the post. When AF1/2 used those freqs there were phone patch links above and below the center freq using LSB/USB in the clear.
I am wondering if 368.200 was actually 368.250 - if monitored in AM mode - and close enough - I would not be surprised there was some bleed over.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
I am wondering if 368.200 was actually 368.250 - if monitored in AM mode - and close enough - I would not be surprised there was some bleed over.
You're probably right Terry; those signals were WBFM, if you listened closely you could hear the ground station calling them back on the center freq in WBFM mode.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Here is the last contract I could find....

Guess they never found another contractor who could support the work - wonder why LOL

Perhaps it really still is active....at least until 2026

Attachments

• Northstar+JA+Redacted+for+Synopsis.pdf
    208.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Dutchmil

Keep eye out for BLUE-21 this morning KC-135 #62-3569 and BLUE-22 #60-0341 that arrived Dover the other night.
Acars has them route at FL-250 down to Norfolk area then up coast to Nantucket then onto Moron LEMO Spain.
0423 local BLUE-21,22 off the Deck at Dover push over to ZDC 127.700 will block 250-270.
The F-16s were RETRO 91-93 and they were on Coronet East 028Q.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
The F-16s were RETRO 91-93 and they were on Coronet East 028Q.
Thanks.. Yeah hopefully they keep that tanker delivery setup out of Dover for new Lockheed SC F-16's for overseas.
Will catch them next time A/A etc.. I imagine that Block-70 F-16 is really advanced fighter with all the goodies.
Bet our own US National Guard guys would like them too..
Just checking mode s logs this morning ADSB (000017) showed as callsign RETRO-91 right into Spain... will keep that in mind next time.

Speaking of new aircraft Poseiden-1 (AE6A41) have tail #170269 brand new P-8A enroute Jacksonville from Boeing.
Was BOE-128 10 days ago out there. Poseiden-1 is standard Boeing P-8A delivery callsign foreign or domestic.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber

mdmonitor

0755- Looks like they're setting up for the weekly Falcon Virgo exercise. CAP 774 (Cessna 172 N674CP) & CAP 742 (Cessna 182 N742CP) working Potomac (127.95). PAX A/D (120.05) & Bay Watch (119.275). Mention they are waiting for fighters from ADW.

0815- Here come the ftrs. Brave flt (2 X DC ANG F-16s) off ADW (348.725) & working ZDC Lexington (281.4), Huntress (139.7) & Bay Watch (305.2). A2A is 340.25.

Last edited: