Middlebury, CT - Middlebury votes down high-band police radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Hopefully they will take another look at the solution that Marcus Communications proposed. The Tait system uses EADS servers, which are 100% compliant to P25 standards. They are part of the P25steering committee, and implememt all approved P25 standards into their systems. If there was a lack of compliance in the bidding, it was probably because the other manufacturer had proprietary features in their system and the specifications were written to require those features. The requirement of proprietary features into a system would put into question whether or not the system is truly P25-compliant, possibly putting grant money into jeopardy.

I would also have to question the integrity of the consultant. I saw a bid a few years ago where two Motorola dealers bid the same equipment (exact same model numbers). The consultant overpromised features to the city, and put the bid out with specifications that could not be met by the Motorola radios (Kenwood could have done it though). One of them said they were compliant and lost points for not being compliant. The other (specifying the exact same Motorola model #) said that the radios would not have all of the features requested, and were awarded points, while still not being compliant. Guess which one of those dealers the consultant used to work for.

There are many choices out there for a quality P25 communications system, at many different pricing levels. Some cities also need to check references. I don't know of any city or county that bought a Motorola system, and had everything covered under the original price. Most projects have several "change orders" and additions that significantly increase the price of the system. Following implementation, there is the ever-present monthly maintenance fee and upgrade fees.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
Motorola is way over rated, the Tait Radios are much better am sure Kenwood is also a good choice. Both are handled by Marcus Communications.

yardbird

I know I don't live Conneticuit, but I was reading the article and being curoius I was wanting to see what frequency Middlebury was operating on for their Police.

I search the database and found they have a license for several Low Band frequencies and I noticed they had a UHF 460 Mhz licensed as well under the same call sign.

My question is why don't they use the UHF frequency instead of wanting to sent millions on a new system.

Also seems like Low Band would work good, because most state Highway Patrols use it and have pretty good results with it.

Just my thoughts

David

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I just loved the comment:

Officials accepted the bid from his competitor, Motorola, which was about twice as costly.

iamhere300

I know I don't live Conneticuit, but I was reading the article and being curoius I was wanting to see what frequency Middlebury was operating on for their Police.

I search the database and found they have a license for several Low Band frequencies and I noticed they had a UHF 460 Mhz licensed as well under the same call sign.

My question is why don't they use the UHF frequency instead of wanting to sent millions on a new system.

Also seems like Low Band would work good, because most state Highway Patrols use it and have pretty good results with it.

Just my thoughts

David

I would look again at the statement "most" highway patrols use lowband. Lowband, while I love it, is beset with noise issues, as well as very limited equipment options, penetration issues, big antennas, etc.

VHF is not a bad option.

Status
Not open for further replies.