Middlesex County EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
I've seen the thread covered here before, but I've also noticed that pro voice can in fact be monitored via software? Is there anyone here familiar with how to explain this to me in normal terms? I do not want to go through the trouble of downloading software if I don't know how to use it. Or is the idea of trying to monitor MC edacs just a waste of time?

robbinsj2

You might get better or more responses by posting in the Trunking Control Channel Decoding forum (or even the Harris forum). I heard about some open-source software a while back which would do what you describe but I haven't tried it myself.

Jim

W2SJW

Database Admin
It runs on Linux, so that might add another wrinkle to your decision-making process...

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Sounds too complicated already, I received a PM from another member here who told me, "if you have the money to buy a radio, your better off doing that." For receive only purposes. It seems many other Middlesex agencies may opt to use the county edacs pro voice system, but I guess we have to wait and see.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Keep in mind that the county is going 700MHz. And if the rumors pan-out that the system is going to be OpenSky & not P25, we're ALL going to be S.O.L. when it comes to trying to listen to that system.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Had a wonderful day today working my club's hamfest at the Piscataway High School & met with a few friends I don't get to see but once or twice a year (and two of them have very respectable info about what's going on with the county).

The OpenSky system conversion on the 700MHz upgrade is 100% a given. They could care less about out-of-county mutual-aid capability. They are choosing that system to ensure that no one with a scanner, or privately-purchased radio will ever be able to monitor the system.

The county has the ability to do the infrastructure upgrade but not purchase the radios for anyone not a county entity. My one friend went as far as to say someone should sue the county for willful misappropriation of taxpayer funds...

Status
Not open for further replies.