Midland® Nautico™ 3 VHF Marine Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I wanted some reviews on this radio if I could. I did not want to waste $75 on a radio that does not get far. How far in miles have people got with this radio. And any other options is welcome.

Thank you

shadcall

Yes I am. I also want to use it for personal.

It sounds like what you are proposing is illegal. You cannot sit at your house and talk to your buddies who are fishing on the river. You also cannot use a marine radio for what you term as "personal." It's not a CB although there are those out there who use it like one, but they are breaking the law. Here is what the FCC rules say about use of a mobile marine radio. I've also copied the penalties for violation of those rules.

Using Hand-Held Marine VHF Radios on Land

You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license, to operate a hand-held marine radio from land -- a ship station license IS NOT sufficient. You may apply for this license by filing FCC Forms 159 and 605 with the FCC. To be eligible for a marine utility station license, you must generally provide some sort of service to ships or have control over a bridge or waterway. Additionally, you must show a need to communicate using hand-held portable equipment from both a ship and from coast locations. Each unit must be capable of operation while being hand-carried by an individual. The station operates under the rules applicable to ship stations when the unit is aboard a ship, and under the rules applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land.

Violating the Rules

If it appears to the FCC that you have violated the Communications Act or the rules, the FCC may send you a written notice of the apparent violation. If the violation notice covers a technical radio standard, you must stop using your radio. You must not use your radio until you have had all the technical problems fixed. You may have to report the results of those tests to the FCC. Test results must be signed by the commercial operator who conducted the test. If the FCC finds that you have willfully or repeatedly violated the Communications Act or the rules, your authorization to use the radio may be revoked and you may be fined or sent to prison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.