• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland Advertising 42 FRS/GMRS Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Midland claims there GRX 7 Series FRS/GMRS have 42 & 52 channels. When I contacted Midland and asked what the extra 20 channels were comprised of, I was told that information was company private. Well, since I havent heard of the FCC adding any new frequencies to the FRS or GMRS services, I purchased a set of radio's and read the "extra channels". No surprise to find out that they just reused the standard FRS/GMRS frequencies and hard coded a PL or DPL code to them. As we all know, adding a CTCSS code does NOT make a radio channel. This type of "grey" advertising should be illegal and not supported by the purchasing public.

If you're curious as to what the "Extra 20" channels are, I've attached a Excel sheet with the break down. In my scanners, I don't add a CTCSS tone to these two services so I can hear everything an all 22 channels

Attachments

• midland FRS Radio Frequencies.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 247

rescuecomm

You would be surprised how many people can't set tone on a two way, program a TV, or their home security system. That is why you have "Geek" squads at the larger department stores. Midland just made life for mainstream Americans easier.

Bob

N

N_Jay

I think this was discussed about a year ago, and someone found a link to the manual that had the chart.

conve36

Midland claims there GRX 7 Series FRS/GMRS have 42 & 52 channels. When I contacted Midland and asked what the extra 20 channels were comprised of, I was told that information was company private. Well, since I havent heard of the FCC adding any new frequencies to the FRS or GMRS services, I purchased a set of radio's and read the "extra channels". No surprise to find out that they just reused the standard FRS/GMRS frequencies and hard coded a PL or DPL code to them. As we all know, adding a CTCSS code does NOT make a radio channel. This type of "grey" advertising should be illegal and not supported by the purchasing public.

If you're curious as to what the "Extra 20" channels are, I've attached a Excel sheet with the break down. In my scanners, I don't add a CTCSS tone to these two services so I can hear everything an all 22 channels

Technically, "channels" could be anything... Now if they specifically said 20 extra "frequencies", then they would be wrong in saying so. The bubble-pack FRS/GMRS manufactures are a total joke anyway. They make ridiculous claims to sell the product. Especially the range of the radios. Most people dont read the fine print that says "25-miles in optimal conditions, such as from mountain-top, to mountain-top".

dwh367

Midland just made life for mainstream Americans easier.

Until someone buys the same exact radio, with the same exact hard coded PL/DPL tones, and then gives them to their kids who happen to love to play with the call button and key it up just to listen to the roger beeps.

At that point, there's no getting away from them so a person would have been better off just buying the cheaper carrier squelched radio as the end result is going to be the same.

To me, it's worth the price to buy a commercial radio, that can utilize reverse DPL, just to get away from that kind of nonsense. Never had my code scanned out by a cheap toy yet and I've been licensed for a decade now.

N

N_Jay

. . .a commercial radio, that can utilize reverse DPL, . . .

??? You do know that "reverse DPL" codes are just other valid DPL codes, or are just invalid DPL codes, made invalid for a few very good reasons? Right?

dwh367

??? You do know that "reverse DPL" codes are just other valid DPL codes, or are just invalid DPL codes, made invalid for a few very good reasons? Right?

Sometimes what I'm trying to say gets lost in translation on its way the keyboard :D Even though a reverse DPL is indeed "valid", I haven't found a bubble pack radio yet that can decode which one I'm using (I've borrowed some to try it with). My Pro-2096 and my Pro-96 also will not decode it.

I don't know about the newer generation of scanners though as I've never had the chance to play with any of them yet. I guess what I'm saying is if they can't find it, they can't bother me and since I'm not aware of any non commercial radios that will transmit reverse, I don't have to put up with any of the nonsense.

Is that any better or did I just end up making things worse? :)

brandon

Database Admin
These are the same companies that plaster unrealistic talk ranges in HUGE lettering all over the packaging, so this dodgy advertising does not surprise me.

rescuecomm

I have a GMRS repeater on with split tones due to it actually being the old county wide GMRS repeater brought back from the dead. Nobody uses it (even I don't), so in a couple of months, it is going to get crystals in the 441.XXX mhz band and a retune.

Bob

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer

I did a little test yesterday with my VHF rigs, both were using Inverted DPL and weird when I was keying up one radio the other will RX and decode it but vice versa the other wouldnt until I keyed it and then it goes through like normal.

KD8DVR

Since no one gave the answer, I will.

These "extra channels" are still ALL in the 22 frequencies covered by the FRS and GMRS band.

What makes them "extra channels" is simply a hard coded PL tone. This is why no option is avalable to change the PL/DPL on these "extra channels".

For te rookie to radio... PL or DPL refers to the so-called "privacy codes" that are not really private at all.

You could do the same thing yourself on a "standard" 22 channel radio, by simply setting an apprpriate PL/DPL "privacy code"

This whole deal is simply a markrting ploy to make the public think they have a "better radio"

Status
Not open for further replies.