Midland GATRRS Surrounding Traffic

TopSlide

Premium Subscriber
When I monitor "Texas DPS Region 4A Midland" on GATRRS I get Midland/Pecos/and El Paso Dispatch, but I can only hear Midland and Odessa related traffic. I am using the Gardendale 800mhz site. Why am I not picking up traffic related to Big Spring, Andrews, Etc etc?

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
What Talkgroup you are listening to? At times the DPS El Paso dispatch will dispatch for this area.

TopSlide

Premium Subscriber
What Talkgroup you are listening to? At times the DPS El Paso dispatch will dispatch for this area.
I'm not super familiar with all the terms, but I think the only talk group on that department is "DPS Midland Dispatch".

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
When I monitor "Texas DPS Region 4A Midland" on GATRRS I get Midland/Pecos/and El Paso Dispatch, but I can only hear Midland and Odessa related traffic. I am using the Gardendale 800mhz site. Why am I not picking up traffic related to Big Spring, Andrews, Etc etc?
Generally, talkgroups on a trunked system are carried only on the sites that cover their assigned service area. Big Spring, & Andrews, among other areas, are not in range of the site you have programmed (Gardendale). So you would not hear an Andrews or Big Spring unit unless it is currently in your area on official business. If that were the case, as long as that unit is in your area, with his/her radio using their "home" talkgroup, their normal traffic would be heard in both their assigned area as well as the one they are visiting. Once they return to their primary area, their "local" talkgroup would no longer be heard on the Midland area site.

Here in North Texas, there are several DPS related talkgroups on TxWARN used by DPS Tyler. While I can receive the Kaufman County TxWARN site at home here in Dallas, I never hear the Tyler assigned units unless one of them has ventured far enough west to affiliate with the Kaufman County site instead of one in or close to Tyler.

ke5eur

Premium Subscriber
Ok last I checked and heard big spring tower was down. And if I believe correct Andrews unit will run off of the vhf side conventional repeater and that is what big spring units are doing

KE5PL

Ok last I checked and heard big spring tower was down. And if I believe correct Andrews unit will run off of the vhf side conventional repeater and that is what big spring units are doing
Big Spring has been back up for about two months.

Ensnared

Just in time for me to come visit this weekend and work a hitch out there, lol
Well, Big Spring is in the dark now. After both parents died, I have absolutely no reason to return to that weird city where I used to live. Have you ever attempted to monitor traffic from the top of the Hotel Settles?

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I am not seeing a big spring site on radio reference. Is there another way to put this in, or am I thinking wrong?
It’s up, 1.89 is the site and it is on a pair of 152 frequencies. I’ll get it updated when I get to my laptop, I received it Saturday night on DSD

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
1.89 Big Spring is back in the database. Only showing to neighbor to the Patricia site at this time. Weird part of the GATRRS system out here for sure. DPS is pretty consistent, but I get Val Verde, Zavala, LaSalle SO talkgroups all the time on the Midland VHF site.

slayer7303

1.89 Big Spring is back in the database. Only showing to neighbor to the Patricia site at this time. Weird part of the GATRRS system out here for sure. DPS is pretty consistent, but I get Val Verde, Zavala, LaSalle SO talkgroups all the time on the Midland VHF site.
While I monitor the GATRRS system on the King Mt. site I normally don't hear the S.O's but I catch D.P.S and TxDOT talk groups off that site. I don't get Zavala or LaSalle until I get on top of caprock north of Crane Tx.

Ensnared

I am curious about the trunked system in Howard county.

At present, it shows "E" for LE; however, it shows "linked to" the VHF analog frequencies.

How does this work? If LE is fully-encrypted, can people listen in on analog. Or, is this temporary?

There are a noticeable amount of listeners in the county. If this is a temporary situation, I wonder how it will be received within the community?

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I am curious about the trunked system in Howard county.

At present, it shows "E" for LE; however, it shows "linked to" the VHF analog frequencies.

How does this work? If LE is fully-encrypted, can people listen in on analog. Or, is this temporary?

There are a noticeable amount of listeners in the county. If this is a temporary situation, I wonder how it will be received within the community?
I need to go in and remove the links. I don’t remember hearing any VHF active anymore, only the state hospital. Last year when the system was rolling out, the VHF analog was open and clear while the P25 system was full E. Now only the fire dispatch talkgroup is clear, everything else I observed on DSD was full E. There is a separate thread devoted to Howard’s system also.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
It may change, but for while big spring used/using the big spring DPS repeater. Andrews I thought fell under Lubbock, R5, or used to years ago. But, yea, who knows, they may go trunk for big spring. 50006 Id Midland/Ector Dispatch. They just handoff to other offices to dispatch All part of the Sunset Commission.