• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland GMRS portable radios repeater capable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert831

Hello. I am looking at the midland gmrs handheld radios, do any work on repeaters? I know their mobile radios do.

Thanks

RFI-EMI-GUY

One thing that Midland (and BaoFeng) does differently on most models is that they employ narrow band emissions (11k0F3E or less) on their transmitter modulation. This means that nominal deviation is topped out at +/- 2.5 KHz for modulation and the CTCSS tone is reduced as well, ~ +/- 500 hZ. GMRS channels with 25 KHz channel spacing, the pairs used for repeaters are authorized for 16K0F3E or 20K0F3E which means +/- 5.0 KHz with CTCSS tone (or DCS) around +/- 700 Hz.

You will find that with reduced deviation, your radio will sound weak and the tone or digital squelch may not activate the repeater.

When you choose a radio for GMRS, seek radios authorized for 16K0F3E or 20K0F3E on the FCC Certification.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
One thing that Midland (and BaoFeng) does differently on most models is that they employ narrow band emissions (11k0F3E or less) on their transmitter modulation. This means that nominal deviation is topped out at +/- 2.5 KHz for modulation and the CTCSS tone is reduced as well, ~ +/- 500 hZ. GMRS channels with 25 KHz channel spacing, the pairs used for repeaters are authorized for 16K0F3E or 20K0F3E which means +/- 5.0 KHz with CTCSS tone (or DCS) around +/- 700 Hz.

You will find that with reduced deviation, your radio will sound weak and the tone or digital squelch may not activate the repeater.

When you choose a radio for GMRS, seek radios authorized for 16K0F3E or 20K0F3E on the FCC Certification.
Early Midlands were narrow band, later versions allow wide band.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Early Midlands were narrow band, later versions allow wide band.
That is somewhat a mystery. An anecdotal tale.

Some of the radios apparently were programmable by some software distributed by Midland support. However these same radios were never type accepted for a wideband modulation. They are listed 12K0F3E or lower. So why would Midland risk the wrath of the FCC to aid end users in "modifying" a radio? Or did the software actually do nothing, beyond perhaps change the receiver bandwidth. I am waiting for someone to prove me wrong by showing before and after on a modulation analyzer.

Have you benched one of those radios?

RFI-EMI-GUY

I will concede that SOME of their new radios are wideband, one even does both:

MMAMXT575​

462.55-462.725 MHz
2-Way Radio Communication
48.87 Watts2.5ppm16K0F3E95E1.1
462.5625-462.7125 MHz
4.08 Watts2.5ppm16K0F3E95E1.2
467.55-467.725 MHz46.67 Watts2.5ppm16K0F3E95E1.3

But this popular model is not

FCC ID MMAMXT105​

462.55-462.725 MHz
4.9 Watts1.3200000000ppm11K0F3E95A1

RFI-EMI-GUY

Nor is this new portable:

FCC ID MMAT295​

That Midland has even made a move toward releasing wideband radios, is probably due to the MANY public comments I have made in past about their narrowband radios.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It is caveat emptor when buying radios. You must look up the FCC ID number for any assurance of the performance you are getting. I suggest even going as far as looking at the modulation plots in the test reports.

Last edited:

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
That is somewhat a mystery. An anecdotal tale.

Some of the radios apparently were programmable by some software distributed by Midland support. However these same radios were never type accepted for a wideband modulation. They are listed 12K0F3E or lower. So why would Midland risk the wrath of the FCC to aid end users in "modifying" a radio? Or did the software actually do nothing, beyond perhaps change the receiver bandwidth. I am waiting for someone to prove me wrong by showing before and after on a modulation analyzer.

Have you benched one of those radios?
No but I belong to an off road vehicle group who has been using the Midland model MTX275 and MTX575 GMRS radios and they have examples of early versions that are narrow band only and later versions that do wide band on channels where wide band is allowed. There is a certain mfg date when Midland made the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.