Midland looking to join MPSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Midland, Midland county, etc. expect they are going to be on digital radios, approximately spring of 2015.

Meaning assuming they do and it looks that way, your non digital (analog)radio will no longer get 911 calls for Midland. You will have to get a digital scanner.

See the article - Midland City Council
Authorized the city to pay Farmington Hills-based Motorola Solutions Inc. $278,921.67 for radio units for the public services, landfill, water, wastewater and other departments. The department is entering a statewide system that would allow city staff to communicate with law enforcement agencies in the field. The city is reducing its number of radios from 220 to 150 as part of the change over. A contract for radio service still needs to be finalized with the state.

szron

Under $300k for a switch over to digital, all inclusive I suppose (radios, consoles, support).

I ain't no radio salesman but I think that's a bargain!

Also good to see another city jumping on board!

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
From what I've heard, Midland City could go on MPSCS right now with the current tower coverage.
The county would need to put up 2 new towers. If so, is a Simulcast system in the works?

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
To clarify the previous post, Midland City could go on MPSCS as soon as they get the radio equipment, but will wait for the County to build the two towers that they would need for adequate coverage.

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
This is from the Official Synopsis of the Midland City Council meeting 7/14/2014:

"Authorized Execution of Michigan's Public Safety Communications System(MPSCS) Member Subscriber Agreement for the Public Services Radio System"

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
Midland Dial-A-Ride will not be going to MPSCS with the other agencies on the current Midland system, so look for a new radio system in Midland.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
At http://cityofmidlandmi.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/07142014-1324 the full agreement is at pages 82-94.

Highlights I picked out,

The County’s contract will include all public safety agencies in Midland County, including the City Police and Fire.

Some additional equipment will need to be purchased for Dial-A-Ride
using federal Section 5307 and 5339 funding, which is currently pending final approval.

This agreement will provide radio service for the following departments: Public Services (Parks, Public Works, and Forestry), Landfill, Wastewater, Engineering, Signs and Signals, Water Department, Horticulture, Garage, and the Service Center front offices.

As part of the County’s arrangement with the State, the County will be paying for the installation of a new tower that will be added to the State’s infrastructure.

The timeline to go live on the system will be based on the County’s progress in constructing the new tower with the current goal to have the County subsystem operational by year end.
Then the next month at http://cityofmidlandmi.gov/documentcenter/view/8532

Authorized execution of Michigan’s Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Member
Subscriber Agreement for the Public Services Radio System.

Authorized issuance of purchase order to Motorola Solutions, Inc. of Farmington Hills, Michigan for the purchase of a Dial-A-Ride Radio System, in the amount of $69,048.20.
As of writing I didn't see anything on frequencies as yet on an fcc query including pending facilities.

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
TG 1009-STATEWIDE3-Heard RID 9330018 talking to RID 4009648, doing a test for Midland City Fire.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Keep an eye out on their newspaper website for any info pertaining to dates etc. when they expect to make the move Midland Daily News - Midland, MI
The council meeting notes, same idea above Midland, MI - Official Website
County meeting notes http://co.midland.mi.us/Commissioners/BoardMeetings.aspx
and ultimitly the FCC, keep in mind they already have the Pleasant valley and Bombay rd towers.
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Me...ortstring=,+lic_name,+file_num&limit_select=4

We understand additional towers to be built in Coleman and downtown at the county building. Possibly one more.

Also we tend to expect them to be simulcast so I know you know how that is regrettably Kaiser.

Last edited:

fireresq2825

It will be 4 site simulcast, 14 channels. 11 of the channels will be 800, and 3 will be 700.

Work is well underway...

kaiserfan

Ron got a new BC536HP and it is doing fine so far on simulcast so it shouldn't matter much better than the HP1

ffemtjg

Only two sites are being added. One tower is already up on near M18 and US10, not sure if the equipment is in place yet. The second tower will be constructed soon at the law enforcement center in Midland. The second tower just received approval for construction and unfortunately the frost laws are going into effect Monday so they wont be able to move equipment to begin constructio for a while yet.. The 'go live' date for users has been pushed back to June unless things change.

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
RID 9330032 on ICALL with MSP Operations(RID 1001642) testing for Midland 911.
Heard on Bombay tower at 9:32 AM.

ffemtjg

MSP communciations is conducting the one day training with personnel from the various agencies in the county. They are demonstrating the ICALL repeater operation as well as emergency, etc. The radio ID's are all MSP training radios programmed for a fictional 99P911, etc.

An update to my earlier information: The information that fireresq2825 gave is correct. They are adding equipment/changing frequencies at the Bombay and Pleasant Valley tower sites to match the two new towers in the county to create the four site simulcast. They will all collectively report as site 22 (if I remember correctly).

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
So far the Identified talkgroups thanks mainly to Gpmorris62 with Radio ID's of 956XXXXX.

Status
Not open for further replies.