• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland MicroMobile MXT100 & 115

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippinhard

So I thought I would introduce myself and start out with a new thread about my newest obsession. I just joined this evening and was poking around and thought I would Join the Forum I have been drawing Reference on for Years. Anyway, long time reader, 1st time poster.

So my latest project is the GMRS band and radios. I've had them for years but only used them occasionally for Hiking or hunting. Then Midland entered the market with these Micromobile, MXT line. I have 2 with a 3rd on the way. I live in the city but about 5 blocks from the Interstate that I drive up and down to work, about 18 miles away, pretty much a flat, straight shot, I also have a friend across town, almost line of sight but not quite. I needed a dependable set of radios that my family could use (daughter is 8, and wife doesn't like radios) So I settled on the GMRS band and the MXT's for a base and a mobile in my car since a GMRS handheld will not even come close to working all the way to my work in the next County. I will be using the MXT115's for both the base and my car, 15 watts seems to do the trick in town and in the car for the 18 miles of separation. I have a +5.5db gain antenna on the roof of a 2 story house, and both the wife's and daughters handhelds (small stock entry level Midlands) will reach the house from their school and work. These are for backup Comms, should cell towers ever go down, and are my 8 year old primary communication tool as she is too young to have a phone. She calls me everyday on her way home to let me know she is en route, on the bus. While setting these up today, the MXT115 I noticed a massive modulation fluctuation when receiving audio. We are using CTCSS tones and have had no problems with this on any other radios. This only happens while I am mobile, when parked, reception is crystal clear, but when back in motion, choppy audio reception returns. It sounds like gargling on the reception end. again, this is only on one radio, using CTCSS while in motion. I tried DCS SQ. and it seemed like it was a prevalent, and I will test more tomorrow. I will also test with no coded SQ. if I can find a semi quiet ch. I tried 2 different antennas with the same result. Nice thing is, I have a 2nd MXT (15 watt) on the way this week so I can compare the 2. My 5 watt, MXT100 is crystal clear while mobile, so I am kind of bummed. FYI, the 5 watt won't quite reach my work (Antennas are dialed in too) and the MXT400 is too big to fit neatly in my car and truck. Any Ideas?

KD8DVR

If you are moving, the antenna may be bending, due to wind/air resistance. This creates the common " mobile flutter". You will also encounter buildings and other obstructions to the rf path, inducing more mobile flutter. A more rigid...and higher gain antenna can help; but it may or May not entirely eliminate the issue.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

KD8DVR

Some operating environments just aren't conducive to operation in certain bands.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

trippinhard

I completely agree, however, my MXT100, 5-watt has no problems when swapped out with the MXT115, 15 watt. I have tried 2 different antennas, all this on the same vehicle. It seems to be more prevelant when using CTCSS. I'll be trying DCS instead this week. Thank you for the reply and very valid info. I'm starting to think it is the radio. TX is solid.

amphibian

Well, since Midland has not made a quality radios since the XTR.... I would suspect the radio. I would also make sure that you have the radio grounded properly. Also, keep in mind that a lot of computers being made now days for vehicles will cause interference with two-way radios manufactured in the Kong.

Turn you car off when you hear the problem, if it goes away then that's where you start. If it does go away the start the car up and see if you get it back... if it occurs only while moving doe it do it above and below 10 mph or not?

Looking at either where and how you have the radio mounted (don't get it close to the key sensor in the ignition switch), where and how the antenna is mounter and coax is routed (routing coax any where near the cars computer is asking for trouble), and look at where you tied into the vehicles power supply. Run it directly to the battery. Wose comes to worse, put the radio in another car with a mag mount and see if it does the same thing... if it does, throw the radio in the trash....

trippinhard

UPDATE!,,,,,So the MXT115 I had was bad, I got a replacement and all is good, but my buddy got one and it had the exact same problems and here they are so if anyone else gets an MXT115 and they think it is under-performing they might have a place to start to identify when comparing their symptoms to ours;
Symptoms are, unresponsive/sluggish menu selections with squelch, weak to no reception, getting worse the longer the radio is in use, and after the radio has been in use for a while (10-15 minutes) and you turn the squelch all the way off, so you hear the white noise static on the speaker, disconnect the antenna and there is no change in static which will typically diminish when the antenna is removed from the back of the radio, gargling audio while receiving a signal from a distant station & while you are moving/mobile. To test reception I connected my base antenna, two stories high (SWR 1.1;1) and used a handheld next to the base unit and the handheld received far better than the MXT115 on the base antenna. Good Luck. I hope Midland gets this taken care of soon, so far 2 out of 3 radios have been bad for me, I get another tomorrow so I will post an update.

trippinhard

Video to show defect on MXT 115 Midland Micro Mobile

Another bad MXT 115. So what it boils down to is, horrible reduced and spotty reception Once again, received signals are dropping off, disappearing during reception. The easist way for me to demonstrate this was using a Midland X-Talker T-61 handheld and by simply pushing the Call Alert on the T-61 and recording a video of how the received audio on the MXT115 is intermittent. It does the same thing with voice on distant stations. Here is the video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RS9gfFjgc

I did get 1 good MXT115 out of 4, so I can confirm it is a manufacturing defect at this point.

KD8DVR

I posted the link to this thread on a Midland Facebook page. They were curious of the issues. Maybe, they have someone paying attention.

trippinhard

Not trying to bash on Midland, I really like a lot of their products and the MXT115 is a great concept, but like I stated above, I received the 3rd radio (4th counting my buddies, which he is returning, or has returned). Out of curiosity hooked a power meter up to my good MXT115 just to verify it was giving me the full 15 watts, but is only registering 10 watts, I was really expecting to see the 15 as advertised. I tested my MXT100 which is advertised at 5 watts and it is dead on at 5 watts. I'd like to deal with Midland directly on the repairs and will make contact with them 3/6/17 and keep everybody posted on the customer service side of this issue. Like I said, I really like Midland and have had a very good experience with them and their products. KD8DVR, thank you for posting this link to their FB page.

methusaleh

I saw an MXT90 in a pawn shop recently, I looked it up online and don't see much difference between it and the MXT100. Does anyone know the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.